Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rusten_gw

Landscape Lighting, Switching to 120v

rusten
12 years ago

When I installed all of our landscape lighting, I had it done in full conduit, setup much like 120v would be run. The only difference being that it used a heavier 12-gauge wire.

I ran the normal 12 VAC landscape lighting transformer, and that was fine for incandescent lighting.

Now that LED Christmas lighting can be done without wasting much power, I'm planning on lighting a dozen of our trees with white Christmas light strings.

The problem is that it's almost impossible to find 12v LED christmas lights in a large enough volume to do what I'd like. Sure they make them, but they're normally 5' sections tightly spaced, etc. One could re-wire them, but that would be a nightmare for a large number of lights.

Because I've already wired my system to meet 120v code, I am considering switching to 120v. I would be replacing the transformer with a GFCI breaker.

Because I only need to draw a couple amps, I wondered if there was some way to buy LOW-AMPERAGE breakers. In addition to the GFCI protection, this would be one more step to creating a safer system.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any low-amperage breakers, or anything that would fit this purpose.

Does anyone have any idea about what options might exist, to implement a low-amperage breaker in conjunction with the GFCI? I realize that with GFCI, theoretically there is no need for a low-amperage breaker; however, if there is such a thing, it would give me a little extra piece-of-mind, whether it be for arc protection, or otherwise.

Thank you in advance,

RKM

Comments (2)