Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape Lighting, Switching to 120v

Posted by rusten (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 18:12

When I installed all of our landscape lighting, I had it done in full conduit, setup much like 120v would be run. The only difference being that it used a heavier 12-gauge wire.

I ran the normal 12 VAC landscape lighting transformer, and that was fine for incandescent lighting.

Now that LED Christmas lighting can be done without wasting much power, I'm planning on lighting a dozen of our trees with white Christmas light strings.

The problem is that it's almost impossible to find 12v LED christmas lights in a large enough volume to do what I'd like. Sure they make them, but they're normally 5' sections tightly spaced, etc. One could re-wire them, but that would be a nightmare for a large number of lights.

Because I've already wired my system to meet 120v code, I am considering switching to 120v. I would be replacing the transformer with a GFCI breaker.

Because I only need to draw a couple amps, I wondered if there was some way to buy LOW-AMPERAGE breakers. In addition to the GFCI protection, this would be one more step to creating a safer system.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any low-amperage breakers, or anything that would fit this purpose.

Does anyone have any idea about what options might exist, to implement a low-amperage breaker in conjunction with the GFCI? I realize that with GFCI, theoretically there is no need for a low-amperage breaker; however, if there is such a thing, it would give me a little extra piece-of-mind, whether it be for arc protection, or otherwise.

Thank you in advance,
RKM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape Lighting, Switching to 120v

"LOW-AMPERAGE breakers"

Not from the typical distributin houses for regular power wiring.

You will need to look at electronic distributors and make your own equipment.

There are both toggle and push button panel mount low current breakers available, with push button being more common and available (it is used in more applications than toggles).

There is also a market for lighting control that may have what you are looking for, even if you are not intending for a light show type application.

Here is a link that might be useful: DigiKey Circuit Protection

o
RE: Landscape Lighting, Switching to 120v

@brickeyee -
Thank you for the suggestion, that's an excellent point.

I started searching for components I could assemble together, and I came up with the 5-Amp push-button breaker:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CARLING-TECHNOLOGIES-Thermal-Circuit-Breaker-4VA62?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Is this the sort of thing you were referring to? If so, the only problem is that I cannot find a panel-mounted GFCI to mount alongside it. It seems it's always something!

After I did all of this searching, I came back to reply and noticed you had posted a link! The problem with the items there, they are all "panel mount" or "din rail", and I'm not sure where I can get a small breaker box (or single disconnect box) to mount those. I did a search on that same site, but I came up empty handed.

On the light-show controller, I could not find anything that seemed outdoor friendly, or that seemed to do the trick in general. But I may be misunderstanding / have the wrong search terms.

Thank you again for the suggestions or any other ideas you may have!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here