Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazyjane75_gw

Under cabinet lights - help!!

lazyjane75
10 years ago

Just posted this in Kitchens, but perhaps Lighting is the more appropriate forum.

We are getting ready to embark on our kitchen remodel soon (finalized cabinet order & plans, demo will hopefully start next month). My KD (works at the cabinet store) just quoted me $1300 for dimmable LED lights, which she says are 3000K brightness. I saw them in the store and they are on a strip, about 3" apart, no diffuser. I don't know what brand. They seemed fine. It would be about half that to go with their Xenon lights, which did have a diffuser. But I don't really like the heat coming from the xenon lights and I guess LED is the thing most people do....

Anyway, I'm not much of a DIYer, so I want something that I can just hand the contractor (referred from my KD, by the way) and they will know what to do.

I just called Environmental Lights and told them how many cabinets I will need to light under and they put a bunch of stuff in a cart for me that totals $580 (not sure whether or not shipping is included). They are the LED High Brightness lights and include diffusers, power source, dimmer switch, and some connectors (though maybe I would need more).

I don't have a layout handy, but if this helps, the cabinets are on three walls. These are the upper cabs on each wall:
Wall 1: 2 - 20" cabs, separated by window.
Wall 2: 1 - 39" cab + a corner cabinet (extends 12" out)
Wall 3: 12" corner cabinet + 12" cabinet + 2 34" cabinets (separated by range hood).

So, in total, there would be 7 upper cabinets that I'd need lights under, including one corner cabinet where the Environmental Lights sales person proposed 2 6" lights connected together

That's an awfully big price difference.... It seems like people on this forum seem to like Environmental Lights. I don't want to spend $700 extra that I don't need to spend for the same thing.... Is there something I'm missing here?

Comments (2)