Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - How Many Pendants over 6 ft island??

Posted by zoe1chclt (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 18:03

My contractor just told me that I need to let him know tomorrow morning where to place the pendant lights in my kitchen. We just started the work last week, so my kitchen is currently an empty shell and I am having trouble picturing this. The island will be 35" X 72". I had one lighting store tell me 2 pendants, and that 3 would be far too many. The other lighting store told me I definitely need three of the mini pendants.

thank you for any help - too many decisions at once!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - How Many Pendants over 6 ft island??

My island is a triangle/pie shape and 74 x 69. I have 3 lights - set in a triangle. They are spaced 43" apart and only about 13 inches from the edge of my counter. Not only are my pendants within arm waving distance (they've been knocked a few times), I think they look funny - too far apart. Wish they were closer together and further in from the edge. But then my contractor forced me to make a decision when the room was empty as well. One of these days when DH is in a really good mood, I may ask him about moving them closer together.

I think I would do 3 if I had a rectangle island and could put them in a row - BUT that assumes the lights were on the small size like mine - 4w x 7h. If you pick larger lights, then 3 may be too many. Do you have your lights picked out? If you look at the fixtures that have multiple pendants, they are usually spaced fairly close together.

o

What other ceiling lighting do you have. Two pendants seems right for a 6 foot island if the rest of the kitchen is well lit. Three could work as well if they are not particularly big fixtures. You may want to show a floow plan to a lighting designer at an independent dealer. Not one of the box stores.

o

The rest of the kitchen is well lit with previously installed cans. I think I am stuck with 2 because of a duct that would get in the way of my centering a pendant over the island. Looks like I have a choice because of the duct and the joists of either having the lights 30 inches apart and 21" from each side of the island, or 14.5 inches from each side and 43 inches apart. What would be best? I haven't picked out the lights yet - but the ones I like online seem to be about 4.5 to 6 inches in diameter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here