Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

quality 24' T8 at a good price

ionized_gw
11 years ago

I am doing a BUNCH of T12 to T8 conversions in my home. I have some great 2 and 4 tube program start ballasts. I know how I am going to convert some 8' fixtures to tandem 4' tubes. I can buy great 4' GE spx tubes at a good price.

I walk into a store and find 4', 5000K tubes with a great CRI for $8/pair. I have one fixture that needs 4 x 24 inch tubes. I go into the same store and see single 24" tubes for 6 or 7 bucks APIECE. That might not be so bad, but they are comparatively crappy tubes, cool white or warm white garbage with lousy CRI.

Does anyone know where I can get good 24' T8 tubes without breaking my budget retrofit budget? Maybe I should do a quantum leap and go to T5 in this case?

Comments (15)

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Try LAMPS PLUS in TUSTIN.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should have mentioned that I only need 4 of of the two-footers.

Thanks

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Also LIGHTBULBS etc. in ORANGE.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

These were free shipping when I got them, but you may find them local.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5k, 2ft, T8, CRI85

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I think I will need to call my local lighting store. Fortunately, they have Saturday hours.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is not a very good idea under most conditions. DOE report:

Performance of T12 and T8 Fluorescent Lamps and Troffers and LED Linear Replacement Lamps

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/publications/pdfs/ssl/troffer_benchmark_01-09.pdf

"In the meantime, LED technology is not yet ready to displace linear fluorescent lamps as replacement light sources in recessed troffers for general interior lighting."

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

"ionized"

Here is a little update for you;http://www.creeledrevolution.com/

The government is generally behind in the evolution of tech.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The CALiPER report is, indeed, 3 years old. One positive aspect is the ready access to lots of data. I am sure that CREE has some fine products, but at the link you posted, I dug a lot before I got frustrated and quit. There is too much sales pitch to cut away to get to meaningful data.

The poster that I responded to advocated (a nice word for spammed) for replacement linear LED arrays for existing luminaries. The CALiPER report addressed that kind of product. Have these products improved in the last three years?

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

"ionized"

"The CALiPER report is, indeed, 3 years old. One positive aspect is the ready access to lots of data."

And as you indicated, antiquated at best.

"I am sure that CREE has some fine products, but at the link you posted, I dug a lot before I got frustrated and quit."

When you opened the link, along the left side was a photo presentation with selection blocks at the bottom, among the various examples were replacements for metal halide, linear florescence and as you pointed out, troffers, to mention a few.

"Have these products improved in the last three years?"

Take the time, as I have to wade through the volumes of PDF material available and your realization that the leader in the LED tech. as well as PANL(stock symbol) will soon have replacement products for the mercury laden CFL's.

In spite of the government.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

snoonyb, Thanks for your interest, but you have completely lost me. Let's start over. Here is a how the thread has developed from my point of view.

1) I asked if anyone knows of mass marketers or lighting stores that that have quality, 2' T8 tubes at a good price.

2) I get some reasonable feedback, but not that helpful. Then someone, that sure resembles a spammer, suggests that I buy tubes that might superficially resemble T8 tubes, but are tubes packed with LEDs. These have been shown to be a bad idea AFIK. Can you show me some data that indicates otherwise?

3) You direct me to advertising that does not seem to include LED substitutes that can be plugged into existing luminaries with sprinklings of your anarchist attitude. Did I miss something at that web site?

Are there, in fact, effective drop-in LED replacements for T12 or T8 tubes? I stress, EFFECTIVE and REPLACEMENT TUBES. I am not looking to replace luminaries. If you do know of any, I would like to know about them whether they were developed by the government, with the government, for the government, or in spite of the government. Ideally, you could show me some data that indicate that these replacement tube-like LED lamp replacements are effective compared to fluorescent tubes.

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Well you have confirmed my suspicions from your original post, you are a hand-full of gimme, and a mouthful of much obliged.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Ionized,

If you follow a link on that web site, you will find an 8 foot LED in tube format that actually seems to be 10-15% more efficient than a good fluorescent, with a CRI of 90. I didn't see pricing. Anyway, unless the use is 24/7, I doubt that breakeven cost will ever be achieved, and certainly will not if one considers the time value of money.

I know your need is 2 foot, but I didn't search that out.

Here is a link that might be useful: CREE 8 foot LED in tube form

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Snooyb,

"Well you have confirmed my suspicions from your original post, you are a hand-full of gimme, and a mouthful of much obliged."

Spare me the platitudes and spell our your complaint. I do not think I have been anything but polite and accurate.
    -----------
    Attofarad, thanks, but that link took me to something called a "8' LED Linear Luminaire". I did not find any tubes to go into existing luminares on that web site. Did you see something like that? Again, I would be interested in LED replacements for fluorescent tubes that are effective and cost-effective. I have one or two places where it might be worth the cost.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

No, ionized, I didn't see anything for your immediate use. I was just pointing to available LED product that is finally a bit more efficient than linear fluorescent. They've already competed okay against CFLs (still hard to amortize), but it seems fairly recent that they've passed long-tube fluorescent in lumens/watt.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Atto. I think that there are LEDs in everyones' home lighting future. It is just a question of when. The lamps themselves are quite expensive, and if you have to replace the luminaires as well, it is quite a hurdle to cover from a cost standpoint.