Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED or Halogen pot lights?

Posted by erpatches (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 16:29

I have been busy trying to decide what to use for a great room. LED much more expensive, 4 inch can than the halogen. More than double. But is it worth the extra? Has anyone seen them in a home? I can only find halogen pot lights in our neighbourhood.
Please comment to help me decide.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED or Halogen pot lights?

I wouldn't use cans at all; they are an expensive and ineffective choice for general illumination. But if you are set on using them, LEDs will pay back the higher initial price many times over in decreased energy costs - especially in future years as electricity costs rise.

o

4" cans are generally expensive. LED lights for 4" cans even more so.

If you live in an area subject to energy efficiency laws, the type of lighting could be constrained. For example title 24 prohibits more than 50% of the wattage going towards traditional incandescent lighting (inc halogen).

I would look at the CREE LR4 lights if 4" cans are specified.

Otherwise, consider larger 6" cans and/ or other forms of lighting.

o

If cost is an issue consider dimmable CFL in cans instead. Their initial cost is reasonable and they use far less electricity than halogen. And they are an excellent source of light for a large room like that. You may also want to consider table and floor lamps in addition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here