Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borngrace_gw

Will I have enough light if I don't want recessed cans???

borngrace
16 years ago

We have an 1810 house and are doing a kitchen addition. It will have a tongue and groove ceiling. In my last kitchen in the old (even older 1745) house I messed up the lighting.

We had a ring of recessed fixtures and then a chandelier over the island. I never had enough light working on the perimeter of the kitchen -- maybe why I hated it. I never had enough light working at the sink - no task lighting.

This time I don't want to make that mistake again (although this room in general is much brighter - we will have a lot of dark surfaces absorbing light). But I really don't want the recessed ceiling lights. They just feel wrong for this period house. Can I get around it? How many ceiling mounted schoolhouse fixtures would I need if that is a good option - will it end up looking ridiculous (ie too many fixtures needed to get enough light)

Below is the floor plan. I am thinking chandelier over island and table. I want sconces mounted between windows on window wall (I've seen a pic and like it) and then where and how many ceiling fixtures? HELP

We have an 1810 house and are doing a kitchen addition. It will have a tongue and groove ceiling. In my last kitchen in the old (even older 1745) house I messed up the lighting.

We had a ring of recessed fixtures and then a chandelier over the island. I never had enough light working on the perimeter of the kitchen -- maybe why I hated it. I never had enough light working at the sink - no task lighting.

This time I don't want to make that mistake again (although this room in general is much brighter - we will have a lot of dark surfaces absorbing light). But I really don't want the recessed ceiling lights. They just feel wrong for this period house. Can I get around it? How many ceiling mounted schoolhouse fixtures would I need if that is a good option - will it end up looking ridiculous (ie too many fixtures needed to get enough light)

Below is the floor plan. I am thinking chandelier over island and table. I want sconces mounted between windows on window wall (I've seen a pic and like it) and then where and how many ceiling fixtures? HELP

And finally -- do I "need" undercabinet lighting? I didn't have it in old house. I have very few uppers and I am a huge keep stuff out on counter person -- do they add enough light to be worth it? Are there any kinds that do not get hot?

Comments (3)