Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
par30 or lr6?

Posted by jdougjo (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 15:20

I had made up my mind to use Juno 5" cans with wheat haze/white trim and 50W PAR30 bulbs in my kitchen remodel. Price per fixture is about $72 including can, trim and bulb.

Given the cost I decided to look at CREE LR6 bulbs. They can be had for $80. I'm not sure what is the best remodel fixture to use with these. Juno TC2R? They seem available for under $15. That's $95 so the premium doesn't seem that high. But I'm confused if I need trim or not. Does the bulb include a white trim ring? If I need trim then what kind works with these bulbs?

What remodel cans have others tried? Is the bulb flush with the ceiling? Any pictures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: par30 or lr6?

LR6 lights can be used with most 5" or 6" cans. No trim is required. I used HALO although Juno would work just as well.

o

davidtay - it seems I'm following the same path as you with regards to lighting.

Did you do LED rope lighting above your cabinets? If so, what kind did you use and are you happy with it?

o

jdougjo,

I forgot to mention that CREE CR6 lights will be available for ~50 around the middle of this year. They will be the approximate replacement for the LR6 (with a shorter rated life span).

I used environmentalLights neutral white lightbars for under cabinet lighting and am quite pleased with the results.

Having said that, I'd strongly advise shopping around online - the same lights can be purchased elsewhere for less today.

A brief view
DSCN0899

StarStrand LED could also be another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: environmentallights

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here