Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Track vs Rail vs Spotlight for Piano Light

Posted by shmeal (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 15:13

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer about ceiling lighting for a piano.

Our great room (approx. 17'x19' with 9' ceilings) will have an added niche in the northwest corner of the room (an extra 3'x 6-1/2') for our grand piano. It is very important to me to have good lighting at the piano.

Within the great room we will have a large ceiling fan with four recessed cans to wash the walls at the perimeter of the room.

DH, the builder and I all have different opinions on how to light the corner for the piano. DH wants directional recessed lights. The builder wants to install a track lighting system and I want something that comes down from the ceiling a little further.

I've tried looking online for information and it gets all a little confusing to me. I'm either finding things with way too much information (lumens and loss of candlepower, etc) or it's so simple as to be of no help at all.

This is an image of a fixture that I thought would work.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This particular fixture is from Pottery Barn - I don't know anything about their quality and haven't really looked at anything else yet because I don't want to spend a lot of time looking at one thing and then it ends up not being the correct option.

What is the right way to get the light where I need it to be? I need to see the music, I need to see the keys and I need to avoid excessive shadows. Style is important, but function is the most important.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Track vs Rail vs Spotlight for Piano Light

The best solution would probably be a piano lamp.

Overhead lighting could cast shadows depending on the relative position of the piano seating and lamp style.

o

We use a low voltage recessed can w/MR-16 wall washer trim over our upright piano. It actually illuminates some art work on the wall above the piano, and is supplemented by a piano top lamp for the music. The recessed cans and trim allow a very clean look with nothing 'hanging down'.

The wall washers had 50 watt halogen MR-16 lamp for a long time. But I currently use the Philips 10 watt AmbientLED MR-16 in them.

o

Thanks for your comments. I think we will end up using a floor lamp made for pianos as DH doesn't like the ones that clip on and I don't like the ones that sit counterbalanced to the side of the pianist.

Is it cheaper/easier to install recessed cans or wall sconces? The piano niche seems like it will be a little dark compared to the rest of the room and I would like to find a way to light up that corner. I think I will stay away from the lights that "hang down" as it is one less fixture that will have to coordinate with the fan and the pendants over the kitchen island.

o

A recessed can could be more expensive. However, it could be positioned to provide better lighting than a single wall sconce (if the locations of the ceiling joists permit). Lights like the CR6 perform much better than the traditional "bulb in a can" recessed light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here