Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shmeal_gw

Track vs Rail vs Spotlight for Piano Light

shmeal
11 years ago

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer about ceiling lighting for a piano.

Our great room (approx. 17'x19' with 9' ceilings) will have an added niche in the northwest corner of the room (an extra 3'x 6-1/2') for our grand piano. It is very important to me to have good lighting at the piano.

Within the great room we will have a large ceiling fan with four recessed cans to wash the walls at the perimeter of the room.

DH, the builder and I all have different opinions on how to light the corner for the piano. DH wants directional recessed lights. The builder wants to install a track lighting system and I want something that comes down from the ceiling a little further.

I've tried looking online for information and it gets all a little confusing to me. I'm either finding things with way too much information (lumens and loss of candlepower, etc) or it's so simple as to be of no help at all.

This is an image of a fixture that I thought would work.

This particular fixture is from Pottery Barn - I don't know anything about their quality and haven't really looked at anything else yet because I don't want to spend a lot of time looking at one thing and then it ends up not being the correct option.

What is the right way to get the light where I need it to be? I need to see the music, I need to see the keys and I need to avoid excessive shadows. Style is important, but function is the most important.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm