Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Entry lighting - one or two fixtures

Posted by shmeal (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 13:50

Our entry is 11-1/2' x 8' at the front door and then narrows to 6-1/2' at the powder room. The ceiling is 9' high.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm wondering if it is better to install two smaller fixtures in this area rather than one?

I've been looking for something between 18"-20" diameter. I would like something that hangs lower than a semi-flush but it needs to be shorter than 24". I'm finding the shorter fixtures aren't quite wide enough and vice versa.

If we install two 13" entry lights would that be overkill in this space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Entry lighting - one or two fixtures

Because you have a stepped wall there are in essence two areas to light. Careful positioning of a single light could do the job resonably well. I think that two smaller fixtures on separate dimmable switches would give more comprehensive coverage. Remember that a 20" foyer light will likely be at least 40" tall and will have quite a presence in most entries.

o
RE: Entry lighting - one or two fixtures

Thanks for your comments roadbike. I think we are either going to install two smaller fixtures (separate dimmable - what a GREAT suggestion!) or a track lighting fixture. We were at a lighting store in the city last weekend and the sales manager suggested going with something like that. DH became enamored with the idea. I am hesitantly mulling it over. I know it will light the area well, I'm just not sure I am ready to commit to a look that is so contemporary right at the front door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here