Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dailofan

Efficient Kitchen Lighting Plan -Help!

dailofan
17 years ago

We are renovating our kitchen and would like to use an energy efficient lighting plan. I was looking for suggestions on how to best acheive this.

I've read up on LED but that seems not quite ready for us. Is flourescent the best option? I was thinking of having TWO zones of overhead can lighting. One with dimmable flourescents and perhaps one with halogen or convential lighting to allow more "mood". Can dimmable CFL acheive any mood?

For under cabinet lighting, do you think standard or dimmable fluorescent is the way to go?

Then there's also lighing for the island. And since we have a small catherderal ceiling some type of up lighting.

Any suggestions, product recommendations, or info is most appreciated.

Comments (2)

• midwestlori
    17 years ago

So you're looking at four areas: overhead can lighting, under-cabinet lighting, island lighting, and cathedral ceiling lighting.

Regarding dimmable compact fluorescent lighting: GE Lighting has a good Q&A page that includes dimmable fluorescent info. Type in 'dimmable compact fluorescent' and it will take you to a page with links to information. One thing I noted on the site is that, apparently, dimmable CF requires a special dimmer.

Regarding compact fluorescent ambience: we're testing two types of compact fluorescent lights in our home. In our living room lamps we are using the traditional CF, which creates a cool, bluish light. This works well with the white walls. In our Mahogany-colored, two-column wood archway, we are using the CF that creates an orangish light. It looks great and creates the mood we want. So, when determing which CF to go with in the kitchen, test the two types and see which one creates the light color that best fits your kitchen color.

Regarding the undercabinet lighting: if you're only using it for task lighting, then maybe dimming isn't a necessity. Again, check into whether or not a special dimmer has to be installed.

You'll also want to think about the cool and warm light options. In our kitchen, which we recently renovated, we are testing blue incandescent lights in one set of pendants and regular incandescent lights (which create the orangish glow) in another set. You can really see the difference when the lights are on. So whatever type of CF you pick for the can lighting, you might want to go with the same CF for the under-cabinet area.

Regarding island lighting and cathedral ceiling lighting: how many circuits do you have for the kitchen lighting? We have three circuits; one powers the four pendants that create the task lighting for the countertops, one powers the stove hood fan that has two 40-watt Halogen spots, and one powers the 6-light overhead fluorescent fixture.

If you have only three circuits (one for the can lighting, one for the undercabinet, and one for the island/ceiling lighting) then you could look at a monorail system as a solution for the island/cathedral ceiling. Monorail is powered by one junction box but, because it's low voltage, it can power three to five lights. You could use one or two pendants to provide downlight to the kitchen island and one or two adjustable spots to highlight the cathedral ceiling.

There are a few companies that make monorail. LBL Lighting and Tech Lighting are good. Besa Lighting also offers monorail. All three have websites with URLs that incorporate their names.

Pendants and spots for monorail usually use halogen or xenon lamps.

Also, if you go with pendants with glass diffusers, the color of the glass can complement the CF color you choose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool use of monorail in kitchen

• dailofan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the useful information. Sounds like you have been doing your homework.
    We haven't decided on the number of circuits yet. I guess we are a few weeks away from meeting with electrician to finalize all this. I want to have my homework done before then because I expect he won't be used to doing such lighting.

For the cans, is it typical to use a can that supports CF or incandescent?