Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Updating recessed lights

Posted by haus_proud (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 13:04

Our house is 25 years old and I suspect the original equipment installed by the builder is low quality. I want to replace 2 small (5 or 6 inch) cans and one large (about 8-10 inch)can with new ones that will do a few things: can be retrofitted, seal properly so there are no air leaks, be fireproof because they will be directly under fiberglass insulation, can be adjusted as to where to aim the light, because they are on sloped ceilings and I want to be able to direct the light directly downward, or at an angle, if we prefer that. Lastly, we want to take advantage of the new technology in LCD bulbs, assuming we can get bulbs that can be effectively dimmed. I understand the dimming capability of some is not very good. Also, we want bulbs that disperse the light as widely as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Updating recessed lights

All cans are sheet metal stampings with a built in thermal protection circuit.

Direct insulation contact is more important when incandescent bulbs (including Halogen) are used.

If the bulbs are to disperse the light as widely as possible, you may not require gimbal lights at all.

Assuming that you're intent on replacing only the cans, you'd need to use retrofit cans if you're not tearing out the ceilings.
The cheapest route is to use CR6 in the existing cans. If necessary, the attached trim can be caulked to the ceiling board.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here