Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canned lighting question.

Posted by silversvt26 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 12:55

I have included a very rough layout of the kitchen area to be covered. The light over my island will be a pendant light. The rest will be 6" cans. My question is regarding the wiring.
Currently I have 4 fluorescent shop lights with two bulbs each. I have a switch on one end of the kitchen and another switch on the other end of the kitchen. I can turn the ilghts off or on from either one.
There is romex wiring coming out of the ceiling going to the first light and then it goes from light to light and stops at the last light.
The new cans I bought are 6" IC with a white,black and ground wire.
I am just inquiring on the proper way to connect them. Could I just hook them up the way the current lights are wired up. Running the wires from the wall to the first can and then go can to can?
They are on a 20a breaker. I have not taken the old lights out or looked at the wiring yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canned lighting question.

The cans should be wired in parallel.

From your description, the existing wiring configuration should be a 3 way circuit with the fixtures wired in parallel.

Converting from a dual T8 fixture configuration to recessed cans would require additional wiring - more fixtures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here