Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with lighting for a very small kitchen...

Posted by geomeg (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 12:31

Hi everyone,

Our kitchen reno is underway. I'm looking for help with lighting. Our kitchen is very small, the room being about 10' by 10'.5. The ceilings are only 93" tall. There is one large window so there is quite a bit of light during the day.

The electrician did not recommend recessed pot lights in the ceiling so basically I can only have one fixture in the middle of the room. I will have under-cab lights, still haven't figured those out yet either.

My question is what type of fixture should I use? I have been looking at flush mount and semi flush mount fixtures.

How much wattage should I be looking for? Would a fixture with three 60 watt bulbs be enough?

I really like the Clemson classic pendant from Restoration Hardware but not sure how it would look hung from the ceiling without the extension rods? The 14" one uses two 100 watt bulbs.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with lighting for a very small kitchen...

Instead of watts, you need to think in terms of lumens (or some other measure of illumination such as candela).

There are too many products claiming an output equivalent to a particular wattage but which fall short.

A typical bare incandescent bulb will produce between 800 - 900 lumens.

A kitchen typically requires more light than other areas - eg 35 lumens per sq ft can be used as a rough guide.

o

The led fluorescent may be suitable for your kitchen

o

Florescent light bulbs cost money and electricity much more than led bulbs。
I swictched to led bulbs.And they save my bill up to 80%!!!

3x2 watt or 3x3 watt led light is bright enough for your kitchin.

I brought from Amazon: LOHAS-LED

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isC BA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A2X4NE86JUW3T

Hope this helps.

This post was edited by sunflowerk on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 4:07

o

A light which can be installed inside the wall would be perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here