Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humming Noise in fan that goes away if I press my fan up. What..?

Posted by lamperouge (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 11:03

Hi. I'm not sure what this would be. I've lived in my apartment for 3 years and last year my fan started making a humming noise. I'm embarassed to say anything to the landlord because it's barely noticable. I can hear it during the day, but it's really annoying at night when I'm trying to sleep. It's the only sound I hear and get woken up by it.

I've tried moving my fan (rotates a lot around it's axis), but it doesn't help. The only thing I've found that stops the humming is pressing the bottom piece on the fan up towards the mount. It makes the humming stop.

Does anyone know what's going on or how I can fix it? Is it something I can fix myself? Or do I have a reason to ask to have it replaced if not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humming Noise in fan that goes away if I press my fan up. Wha

What fan? Located where? Associated with what equipment?

o

Sorry! I meant my ceiling fan located on my ceiling! I haven't been able to get a good night sleep in a while. And Associated with what?

o

There are bath fans, range hood fans-- . Is the fan speed controlled from a wall-mounted device?

o

A ceiling fan in my living room.... Looks like this'

http://i.imgur.com/y0P2btU.jpg

It is toggled with a simple on off switch on the wall. It didn't always use to do this.

o

Sounds as if the fan runs 24/7. Definitely different from my usage pattern-- to each his own. And running in the living room while you are sleeping in the bedroom?
My hearing is quite poor and if I heard the fan, I might rejoice for a while. After all, many things are a matter of perspective. To a worm, digging in the dirt is more relaxing than is going fishing.
But guesses are all I have. Perhaps the bearings are just worn out. Perhaps the accumulation of dust on the top of the blades is uneven and has upset the balance of the assembly. Perhaps the screws holding the fan to the ceiling box have worked loose and need tightening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here