Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another kitchen recessed lighting question

Posted by Namarie (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 11:00

I've seen the very helpful post giving guidance on how many recessed lights I should use, but I still am not sure what the correct answer is for me. We live in NC, so we don't have the restrictions others have in CA. I am replacing a large fluorescent fixture in my kitchen with recessed lights, probably 6 inch leds. We have undercabinet lighting. We also have two recessed lights over our bar and a large and very bright chandelier in the eating area. The area to be illuminated is 11x11 and our ceilings are 9 feet. Four seems to fit the layout best (one on each side of the stove on the left side of the kitchen and the sink on the right side of the kitchen) and six just seems like too many for my small area, but I definitely don't want to skimp on lighting since our house is set back in the woods and somewhat dark. Advice?

Here's the kitchen, pre-remodel. Thanks!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another kitchen recessed lighting question

Assuming a 35 lumen per sq ft requirement, your lighting need is 11 * 11 * 35 = 4235 lumens.

Assuming the nominal output of 575 lumens for a CR6 with a 5% reduction for using a dimmer, you need ~ 8 cans (if all the lighting comes from the recessed cans).

Since your cabinets do not extend all the way up to the ceiling, you could install cove lighting such as the eW PowerCore MX (~ 400 - 500 lumens per ft).

By doing so, the number of recessed cans may be reduced accordingly. Cove lighting would also give you another layer of light and more flexibility in setting the mood.

The CR4 (ECO4-575) has the same nominal output as the CR6, so you could consider using the smaller 4" housing.

In any case, you need to know the layout of whatever is above the ceiling and the unobstructed height above the ceiling board.

Here is a link that might be useful: recessed can guide for kitchens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here