Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rimfrost by Ikea is NOT crystal

Posted by vegansally (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 10:02

The Rimfrost shade which used to be sold by Ikea is NOT crystal. I don't even think it is glass. I have three of these shades in my home and it seems more like acrylic or lucite. I am posting this because I just saw one get sold on Ebay for around $65, when it used to be sold at Ikea for $17. But what bothered me was that the seller was claiming that it was a CRYSTAL Chandelier. Most importantly it is NOT crystal and so to post it as such was extremely misleading. Those who bid on on-line auctions have to be able to trust that the item is described accurately. Secondly, it is not a chandelier - it is only a shade. I sent the seller numerous messages while the listing was still active advising him that I am somewhat of a crystal expert, and that I own three Rimfrost shades and that I am 100% certain that it isn't crystal. He posted a small part of one of my messages on the listing to 'cover himself' but he conveniently left out the parts which would have let the bidders know I knew what I was talking about. BEWARE: Although Rimfrost is a really cute shade, if it is crystal you are after then Rimfrost will disappoint. It will not create any prisms, even in direct sunlight. It does not sparkle at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rimfrost by Ikea is NOT crystal

I hate it when people mis-represent a product and Ikea made two different shades called Rimfrost so yours may be different from mine which is definitely glass. Not crystal though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here