Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot lights? What kind?

Posted by erpatches (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 8:58

I am installing pot lights in a large great room? We were told by the electrician to do halogen, smaller can, better light.
Has anyone had experience with this?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot lights? What kind?

Halogen will use just about as much electricity as regular incandescant and they get quite hot. Really not a good choice for a large number of can mounted fixtures in my opinion. I would look at CFL and LED fixtures.

o
RE: Pot lights? What kind?

The smaller the opening, the costlier the can becomes. 4" cans cost more than the 6".

If you want to install pot lights, look at both CFL and LED.

Replacing the integrated ballast for CFL pot lights could be problematic and the cost of LED CR6 lights is competitive with CFL cans.

I looked at CFL pot lights and discarded the idea because of issues with replacing the integrated ballast - access, effort, availability and cost of the replacement.

Or you could consider using other light sources - torchieres, wall sconces, cove lighting, table lamps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here