Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undercabinet lighting

Posted by uroboros5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 8:26

Hi,

I want to include under-cabinet lighting in my remodel.

The lights cannot be more than an inch thick.

They need to be turned on from a pre-existing light switch that is in the middle of the cabinetry. There will be two lines of under-cabinet lights coming from this switch, one to the cabinets on the left, the other to the cabinets on the right.

I'm asking the question because I understand that LED lights, for instance, need a transformer, and I'm not sure building codes would let an electrician connect a transformer to a wall switch, and have that transformer hidden inside the wall! Maybe it's a fire hazard?

What are my under-cabinet lighting options?

Thanks ahead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undercabinet lighting

Uroboros -
there is a thread here that explains installing UCL and wiring to a switch. You can put the transformer in basement or attic or in a cabinet where it can be accessed. We put ours in the cabinet over the microwave but then ours are not wired to a wall switch.

also - ours are 1/2" thick.

Photobucket

Photobucket

the link to UCL install...

Here is a link that might be useful: UCL - DIY

o

You can also mount a power supply (AKA 'electronic transformer') on the bottom of the cabinet.
Many are less than 1 inch thick.

The problem with remote transformers is that any wiring concealed in walls must be an 'approved method.'

Most of the time the smallest gauge you can find is #14, but if you have a high capacity transformer you are going to need larger wires.

o

Mmmmm

So I would have to plug the transformers into an outlet.

And have the outlets connected to the wall switch.

Is that correct?

Would I need two separate transformers for the two cabinet sections?

o

Some equipment is available and listed for hard wiring without a receptacle.

If you use lights that require a receptacle it must be inside the cabinet and not in the counter back-splash.

Permanent lighting is also not allowed on the kitchen counter small appliance branch circuits.

It can take up almost no cabinet space if an electric box is recessed through the back of the cabinets into the stud cavity of the wall.
The receptacle plate is flush with the inside of the back of the cabinet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here