Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under counter lights for kitchen- on deadline!

Posted by gwent (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 8:25

(x-posted from Kitchens).
Can someone give me a quick summary of options. Electrian is waiting for our decision on under cabinet lights for kitchen. It is already hardwired under cabinets and switched at wall. It is an L-shaped run of cabinets and Im confused by xenon vs halogen vs florescent..puck lights. Too many options!!
Can some one give me a short precis of options and pros and cons?
I appreciate it. thanks, in a rush in Massachusetts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under counter lights for kitchen- on deadline!

You've eliminated puck lights because of the wiring you have. The 120V type are not a quality product and should be avoided.

Fluorescent will heat the cabinet above the least and give the most even light but at somewhat lower quality of light. Stick with high color rendering lamps. This choice is the most energy efficient.

Xenon has better color rendering and almost the life span of a fluorescent T5 lamp.

Halogen lamps are short lived and can't be touched with bare oily skin or they are even shorter lived. They produce a slightly cooler appearing light than Xenon so some prefer them.

There is also LED. Cheap ones tend to have odd coloring and score poorly for color rendering. Philips Color Kinetics is the market leader right now with a high quality product. Alkco, recently purchased by Philips, is using the Color Kinetics in their LED under cabinet also. Juno has a new LED fixture that I haven't seen yet. Their other types are nice and priced well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Juno - see under cabinet lighting

o
RE: Under counter lights for kitchen- on deadline!

dim4fun really hit the nail on the head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here