Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to buy quality light fixtures? Which stores, brands?

Posted by prairiemoon2 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 7:50

I need to purchase two light fixtures. One for a covered porch and one utility light for the top of the basement stairs. I replaced one about 4 yrs ago and it barely lasted 3 years. I bought it at a box store. I am wondering if I should try an actual lighting store, but usually their prices are 3x higher than a box store. I want something that is safe and lasts but doesn't have to be high end. I've heard to stay away from IKEA light fixtures, but that's about the only advise I've heard. Does anyone have any information or experience to help me figure this out?

I am sure I will be needing other light fixtures soon, so I would like to know what to look for in general. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to buy quality light fixtures? Which stores, brands?

We are putting in Hubbardton Forge - high quality but is high cost....

o

Thanks for that info. Good luck with your purchases.

o

i have had good luck with murray feiss and kichler brands. i recently bought some landmark and hinckley and they seem similar in quality too. they are decent quality, more mid-tier as compared to hubbardton forge (which is very pricey).

o

"lifespain is more then 50000 hours, also most LED light suppliers offer at least 2 or 3 years warranty, "

50,000 hours is 5.7 years.

They are likely not using the longest life capacitors in their power supplies (solid tantalum) thus the short warranty.

Aluminum electrolytic caps only last about 3-4 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here