Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestion on lighting/cathederal cieling

Posted by truzella (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 6:21

I have a cathederal cieling in my morning room. Plenty of windows/light during the day, however, at night it is dismal at best. I have a cieling fan that is on the left peak rather close to the point where the cieling makes a V. I was thinking of adding recessed lights but I don't know how many and how they should be placed. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestion on lighting/cathederal cieling

If you were walking into a lighting store asking for help you'd need to know approximate slope of ceiling, finish materials, colors used in the room, height of ceiling, furniture layout, how you use the room, depth of ceiling joists, etc. to be able to choose a lamp, trim and housing appropriate for the task.

If you were to tell a designer that you sit at a table placed exactly here and want to read the paper, you are older than 40, the room is wood stained dark, you have art on the walls, the slope is 45 degrees and the peak is 20' high you are going to get a different answer than if you say you are 25, sit and drink a cup of coffee on a white couch staring out the windows in my white room, bare walls with 12' celing sloped at 30 degrees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here