Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with LED turn signal

Posted by Monica1119 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 4:36

I plan on buying some LED strips to use as turn signals on my motorcycle. If I wire them up without a rely, I know they will blink really fast, but will that cause any harm to the LED's or reduce the life of them anyhow? I kind of like having them blink fast, especially on the motorcycle but I don't want to have to replace them every year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with LED turn signal

It should not hurt them but you can buy flashers that are made for LED turn signals, at most auto parts stores.

There is a good chance they wont flash at all, (just stay on), depending on the type of flasher that is in you MC.

You can also add a "Dummy load" hi wattage, low value resistor but the proper flasher would be better and less draw on the electrical system.

Gary

o

Your idea seems good, i need to have a try,thanks

o

The most common flasher module uses a bimetallic strip hat heats up under the load of the bulb and opens the circuit until it cools off and closes the circuit again.

There are a few electronic ones out there, but they are still not all that common.

An LED is not likely to draw enough power to make it ever blink off.

Ever seen thos folks with rapidly flashing turn signals?
They havea flasher that is not rated for the bulb load it is operating.
It heats up to quickly and turns the light off.

o

In the olden days, rapidly flashing signal lights telegraphed the fact that the vehicle had too high a load on the circuit. When one bulb blew out, they slowed down some and it was not noticeable for a lot of drivers. More recently, electronic controls allow the lamps to flash at a very high relative rate when a lamp is "blown".

On the motorcycle, if you install the LED strips in addition to the existing lamps, you probably will not see any difference. If you replace the existing lamps with the LEDs, the load will be significantly reduced. In my Mercury, that would result in fast flashing. (In fact, it is flashing fast, intermittently, because I have to replace a socket with a burned contact.) In a vehicle with an old-fashioned signal stat, it would flash very slowly if at all with LEDs only.

Are not the nature of the lights and flash rate dictated by the DOT? Aren't you leaving yourself open to inconvenience at the hands of law enforcement officials, and legal liability if an accident occurs?

This post was edited by ionized on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 14:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here