Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vinjah

Kitchen lighting design, lend me your thoughts

vinjah
12 years ago

Greetings- my first post in Lighting (as our demo just started today, it's time to tackle lighting design!).

I would be very grateful if folks could lend their eyes to my design and share thoughts from experience.

Image posted below and at: http://flic.kr/p/9wknPt

In the image, the red circles are cans, blue pentagons are pendants, green rectangles are UCL. I'm thinking Cree LR6 for the cans, and to keep costs down fluorescent for UCL.

Also considering a center surface mount light and getting rid of a few cans (#7, maybe #1). Dimensions are 12'10" x 11' and just over 8' ceilings.

Trying to think of options for pendants as well. Any thoughts are appreciated, it's exhausting taking this all in and trying to come up with something good on your own!

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen lighting design - first pass

Comments (5)

• DavidR
    12 years ago

As I've posted here many times, I think cans are the worst possible choice for general illumination. They are best suited for lighting specific room features.

I would use no cans at all, replacing them with more pendants (with translucent shades) and surface mount fixtures.

Actually, I'd use a surface mount linear fluorescent, which gives the best, most even task lighting possible, at a low installation cost and highest possible energy efficiency. But they're out of fashion and most people don't like the looks of them, so I seldom mention it.

• vinjah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts davidr. I was thinking the same thing, and with the addition of two in-ceiling speakers, I'm thinking about the swiss cheese look the ceiling might have.

Check out my lighting plan version 2, with less cans and an added chandelier (and a diagram key!).

My concern is the light in the doorway by the fridge... think it may be dark?

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting design, take 2

• DavidR
    12 years ago

I would expect that if the chandelier has enough lumen output, and the ceiling is white or light colored, you will have fairly even overall light.

I wouldn't worry about the refrigerator area. In fact since you specify undercabinet lighting, you could probably dispense with all the cans.

• PRO
    luminous nw
    12 years ago

I agree with @davidr. If you put one fixture in the center of the kitchen with at least 150 watts or equivalent, that should give you the general lighting you need. Any specific lighting you need should be done by under-cabinet lighting or pendants. Because your ceiling height is 8', I would suggest a flush-mount fixture. Anything that hangs too low will get in the way and make the kitchen feel claustrophobic.

At your bar you might want to put three pendants. Two pendants can often look strange over a bar. If you are worried about it being too crowded, look for narrow, smaller, or lower-profile ones.

Under-cabinet lighting is going to really be your workhorse in the kitchen. Fluorescent is cheaper and more energy efficient than halogen, but halogen is brighter and looks cleaner. LED is the most expensive, best-looking, and gives you the highest energy efficiency.

I'd love to see a picture of it when you're done!

• vinjah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your thoughts. I've decided to hold off on the recessed cans (came real close with Cree GU-24 LR6) and go with a central chandelier and the 4 pendants (2 over sink, 2 over bar). Wife wanted only two over the bar...

I think there will be ample light from all the units (warm CFL) and just need to narrow in on my UCL choice. Still trying to find affordable direct wire LED units but it's proving elusive. Will probably go with T5 or T4 and just upgrade when choices are higher and prices lower in the LED realm.

Will post pics when it's up-- thanks to all those that helped and gave advice! Much appreciated!