Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miruca

Improved Lighting Layout - guidance pls

miruca
10 years ago

Reread several threads, sought advice and reworked 1st floor plan - please give additional guidance if you can. I need to sign off to the electrician early next week

Comments (4)

• David
    10 years ago

You could eliminate the 2 center lights in the living room - 6 instead of 8.

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

davidtay - THANKYOU for looking at this! I was hoping you would :). I keep re-reading your tips and comments ... both trying to educate myself and push back the insecurity as I wind my way through this! BTW - ceiling height is 9'.

I especially wondered whether the 14 lights in the kitchen are well placed or too much or?

The four cans on the sink wall are about 12" o.c (or should it be the rim) from the wall because there are no cabinets (obscured in visual because they are placed over the counter); and two of these are equidistant from the 30" sink base center (about 36" o.c. apart).

Along the range wall there are under cabinet and hood lights - so went with the nine island/aisle lights instead of placing cans at 24-26:" along this wall.

At your suggestions, I am removing the two cans from the center of the family room. The remaining cans are 3 FT from each wall and spaced about 4 1/2 FT apart - is that sufficient for this area? Is 3 FT from wall fine where there will be couch against the wall?

OR is the "four corner" layout more balanced for the family area? There will likely be lamp lighting by the couch and one or two of the opposing corners.

Wow ... I feel so much better already knowing other eyes (and expert ones at that) have viewed this. Lighting seems to get less study and scrutiny than kitchen cabinets but is an amazingly important element and investment than can make a difference daily for a lifetime spent in a house. I think I've learned a heck of a lot in a short period from the posts on this forum.

Thanks so much for viewing and commenting.

• David
    10 years ago

There's room to eliminate a can or two in the kitchen (probably 2).

I'd give the electrician some room for determining the final placement as he will have to deal with the ceiling joists and other obstructions above the ceiling board.

The 4 cans @ the sink wall can be kept on a separate circuit which would provide greater flexibility in lighting the space.

There will probably be at least 3 separate circuits (switches) for the kitchen lighting - 1 for the sink wall, another for general and a third for UCL.

The family area would be fine with 6 cans.

9' is a nice height to have.

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you :)