Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diamonds and crystal don't 'sparkle' unless incandescent?

Posted by drbeanie2000 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 2:47

Is it just me? Or are there parts of the EM spectrum that are missing such that diamonds and/or crystal don't "sparkle" in places that use non-incandescent light?

I'm still not over my 2-year-old diamond engagement ring. (Blushes.) I like to look at it in sunlight, at the theater, under incandescent lights, and basically just anywhere. I don't see the sparkliness under CFL's or LED's. Likewise with crystal chandeliers, which are prominent in public places. They seem not to cast the same colors and patterns under these conditions as they did when they were incandescent.

Is this a real effect, or is it the result of general cluelessness about lighting? I do know a bit about radiative transfer and the spectrum, by the way. Comes with being an astronomer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diamonds and crystal don't 'sparkle' unless incandescent?

It could be real. Incandescent filaments are more compact sources of light than fluorescent. Compared to fluorescent, the approach a point source.

You could argue that LEDs are very compact, but they are not if you have a mass of them in a "bulb". I think that he reflection and refraction of a point source is going to give you the highest impression of "sparkle". Put a piece of ground glass between your incandescent illumination and your rock and see what that does. That would probably approximate the difference between incandescent and CFL for that one characteristic. You can download the spectrum for common fluorescent lamps from manufacturers' web sites and the spectrum for incandescent bulb is available.

Thanks for the question. It makes me wonder what kind of light is used when trying to sell jewelry or crystal. Anyone know? I suspect it is an interesting facet of the lighting industry.

o

"It makes me wonder what kind of light is used when trying to sell jewelry or crystal. Anyone know?"

Halogen.

o

That seems to make sense if you want sparkle rather than hazy reflected light.

o

This may be true - incandescent/halogen lamps produce a broad, spikeless spectrum, but probably more important is to have lots of pinpoint light sources from all directions. Look upward at jeweller's display cases, and you'll always see a string of tiny incandescent bulbs or halogen pinlights. White LEDs are well suited for this use too because of their small size. The more angles the light hits the diamond, especially a clear, well-cut one, the more it sparkles with different colors that refract off the facets differently. Any diamond will look dull when illuminated by a single light bulb, even if incandescent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here