Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting and migraines

Posted by lafacia (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 23:40

Putting recessed lighting in new kitchen. I'm extremely sensitive to light. Have to wear sunglasses at the grocery store, Target, the mall...even then I have a short window of time before I develop a migraine. I'm nervous about choosing the wrong type of lighting...LED or something else? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting and migraines

Well, I know little about types of lighting, but seems like whatever you get should have a diffuser and be dimmable. Try seeking out a local lighting specialty store. Maybe more fixtures with lower output vs few powerful fixtures?

o

If you've been diagnosed with Irien Syndrome, CFL and other fluorescent lighting should be avoided.

o

Definitely AVOID CFL! Flourescents normally flicker at about 60 cycles, which causes migraines in a few of us (me included!) Even the ones that claim to be flicker free give me headaches!

LED is excellent - no flicker. Halogen can also be good. Incandescent is totally safe for you. Beware of poor dimming. Some dimmers or fixtures being dimmed can cause flicker.

There are many new LED bulbs that have beautiful light, available in different spectrums of color. Look for the color temp - bright white has a very high number (4000), and warm white is a lower number (2800 ish).

Diffusers will not help you.

In my office, they actually installed a movie lighting fixture - pure LED - that has excellent light and is quite small. Be aware, they are not cheap, but quality LEDs will last for years. We have 3 mini pendants (1.5 watts each) made by Bruck that we leave on 24/7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here