Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED that doesn't hum but fits in a standard junction box

Posted by lucas_tx (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 23:35

There are some LEDs that can go into an existing can, or will fit in a standard junction box. I've included a link to a review of one of them below. The comments on the Home Depot site for this light also note that it hums with a dimmer.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar LED that's good quality, affordabe and can be dimmed without humming?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: LED review

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED that doesn't hum but fits in a standard junction box

LED lights require LED compatible dimmers. Also best to check the dimmer list for compatible bulb brands and sizes. Not all bulbs are compatible with all the dimmers (which I find totally annoying).

LED floods, f.ex. should be sized for the cans take (usually there are stickers inside that tell you the size.

I have older cans and incandescent dimmers. My cans take Par38 bulbs. I've had very good luck with Lowe's Utilitech 3000K daylight (yellow streak) Par 38 LED bulbs, about $35. Because we have not yet changed out the dimmers I do a workaround and buying slowly since they are $$$$.

For every 4 lights I use 3 LEDs and 1 incandescent. The one incandi powers the switches enough so the switches and dimmers work (if all are changed out they don't work). No humming.

The bonus I found with this brand from Lowe's is that it's their proprietary brand. A few of the bulbs were defective and burned out within months (as opposed to 30,000 hours, however long that is). I was able to exchange them with no questions asked.

When I change out the switches (hopefully later this year) and go all LED, I will use the Lutron switches. They also have infrared with remote and timer switches -- some states will give cash rebates for installing these.

The Utilitech bulbs are on the Lutron list. I loathed the compact fluroescents but the LED light is very good IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's LED

o

Thanks. The issue is I need lights that go in junction boxes not cans, we have too many ac ducts and joists in the wrong places. We were able to stuff in the junction boxes tucked up amongst the joists but no way for the cans.

Like you, I did a lot of investigating on the the bulbs that go in cans, only to figure out that I can't use cans.

Everyone that has this particular light both on the HD site and on that 3rd party review, complains about the humming even with compatible dimmers.

So now I'm wondering if anyone else makes such a light, but minus the hum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the light on home depot site

o

HD is the low price (and often quality) leader.

Less noise is likely to cost you more $

o

Put in a typical octagon box for mounting a light fixture and use surface mounted fixtures.

o

Understand that HD is often not the quality leader but since their other home brand Cree bulbs are good, we thought these might be as well.

4" boxes are in, at this point I we aren't going to want to switch to surface mount.

Thanks

o

I changed out 8, 35 watt halogen lights with LED floods from Home Depot., just screwed the led's in where the halogens were.

They are on a lutron dimmer, same one halogens were on, the fancy dimmer, with the delay off, touch twice for full brightness, etc. No humming whatsoever!

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here