Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyz10_gw

cree cr6

xyz10
11 years ago

How much should I expect to pay (per can) if I asked a builder to use Cree CR6 cans instead of their usual can ?

Comments (14)

• David
    11 years ago

The CR6 is a lamp which is designed to fit into any standard depth 6" can. There is no reason to purchase Cree branded can housing.

• xyz10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply David. Would 50 dollars a bulb be a fair price to pay in additional to the regular price ?

What is needed to get 2 eyeball lights with CREE LED's ?

• David
    11 years ago

Depending on where you are located, the CR6 could be ~$35 from Home Depot.

The LE6 is the Cree lamp which has a gimbal fitting (eyeball).

Here is a link that might be useful: LE6 at Polar-Ray

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

Builder should give you credit for the trim ring (some housing) which is about $10 so his cost would be $25 plus tax. $50 seems a bit much to me.

• kgolby
    11 years ago

I'm interested in replacing my existing recessed cans w/ these. On Cree's website it mentioned the dimmer feature. I currently don't have a dimmer on my kitchen recessed lights. Is it necessary to have a dimmer for the CR6's to work properly?

• David
    11 years ago

No it is not

• kgolby
    11 years ago

Thanks, davidtay!

• buildinva
    10 years ago

I have a question regarding the Cree lights. We are doing a large number of can lights but due to budget I don't think we can afford Crees. Is this something we could purchase later and install ourselves? We are NOT handy at all, lol! If so, is there anything special about the can that I should have my builder install now? Finally, 2 of our lights are "eyeball" style. Do we need a different can for those?

Thanks very much!!

• David
    10 years ago

Yes.

Nothing special about the can.

The CR6s come with an integrated trim ring which saves some cost (~ $10 - $20).

If you have a standard recessed lamp installation, there is a bulb, trim ring and can.

With the CR6, there only is the lamp/ bulb and the can.

• buildinva
    10 years ago

Thank you, David. That's very helpful!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I got a Cree CR6 (EcoSmart brand) bulb from Home Depot to try out. It was very easy to retrofit in a 6" can. Remove the existing bulb. Unclip the springs holding the trim in place. Remove the metal bracket holding the bulb socket, leaving the socket dangling by the wires. Then screw the LED bulb into the socket and push the bulb into the can.

• rob from nj
    10 years ago
  • gpraceman55
    10 years ago

@robj - Thanks for posting that. It is good to hear that they are holding up well so far. After buying other bulbs (incandescent, halogen and CFL) that died prematurely, I was certainly hesitant to spend the extra money on these. We ended up changing out all of the recessed cans on our main floor (11 in all). They do put out more light than the incandescent bulbs that we had been using, which is a nice bonus for us, as we hate dimly lit rooms.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Robj for posting the Review of the CREE CR-6 LED retrofit bulbs in cans! I really appreciate it.