Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
12v Landscape Lighting - single run 85' too long?

Posted by wynswrld98 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 22:45

I have a half circle driveway 170' long with an outdoor covered electrical receptacle at the mid-way point. I'd like to place path lights along the driveway. So I'd put a 12v transformer plugged into the receptacle at the halfway point then run two leads out of the transformer, one heading each way towards the other end of the driveway entrance/exit.

I know running the wire in a circular pattern/other patterns is the best way to go and that straight run patterns are the worst due to voltage drops as you get to the ends farthest from the transformer but I wanted advice on my specific situation since straight line runs each direction away from the transformer are the only realistic way to wire this.

Is 85' too far for a straight wire run if I run 12 gauge wire?

If I put slightly higher wattage bulbs in the fixtures closest to the end of the runs (farthest away from the transformer) would that help get the brightness a little more consistent among the bulbs?

If you want specifics, the bulbs will be 12-watt T-5 wedge (not LED) amber, I can get same bulbs in 18-watt for possible use for farthest fixtures, transformer will be 300 watt. I'm not entertaining LED lights which are available in T-5 wedge due to lack of lumens, I'm actually trying to light a bit of the driveway and the brightest LED T-5 wedge bulbs I can find just aren't bright enough.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 12v Landscape Lighting - single run 85' too long?

How many fixtures at 12 watts each?

o

16 total so 8 going one direction away from the transformer, 8 going the other direction away from the transformer

o

See the link for a voltage drop table. You can just double back the cable on each side. Running cable out in a circle doesn't mean it has to actually form a circle.

Here is a link that might be useful: voltage drop table

o

The voltage drop calculator may provide the answer, and putting the transformer in the middle and having the runs go out in both directions, as another member suggested, is a good idea. Another common thing to do is, using the 12 gauge wire, make parallel runs. So one run is 40 feet, let's say, and has 4 fixtures, and it's closest to the transformer. Then the second run has a 80' wire running along the first, and has 4 fixtures on the second half of the wire (between 40' and 80'). And so on with the others. One way to combat voltage drop is to use heavier gauge wire.

Also, spreading out fixtures puts more of a drag on the wire, so there's less drop-off when the fixtures are clustered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here