Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

Adapting ceiling mount light to use with ceiling fan?

I've been searching for the longest time for a ceiling fan light kit for my dining area without finding anything I really like. Meantime, I keep finding ceiling-mount lights that I REALLY like and would love to use in the room. But, we're in the south where ceiling fans make a major difference in how much A/C you have to use - so I really need to have a ceiling fan in the room.

Then today, at LightingDirect.com, I came across a light that can be EITHER mounted directly to the ceiling or to a fan. It still isn't what I want but it made me think - why can't just about any light designed for mounting directly to the ceiling be adapted for mounting to a ceiling fan --- assuming the light isn't too heavy, doesn't have parts that would blow off from the breeze from the fan, AND you have a high enough ceiling?

No doubt there is some reason and I'm hoping some of you can explain just what it is that makes most ceiling mount lights inappropriate for mounting to a ceiling fan.

Maybe if I understood what to look for, I could find a ceiling mount light that I like that could be adapted to use on the fan.

My ceiling is high enough that I have a couple of feet of extra space to play with.

Thanks for any insight.

Here is a link that might be useful: example adaptable ceiling mount/ fan light

Comments (2)