Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing 12 inch commercial recessed can lighting

Posted by ctilley (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 21:31

I recently purchased a home that was built in the mid 1970's. The family that built the home decided to go with a round commercial style recessed can light where the bulb is completely enclosed behind a glass lens. The lens assembly is hinged to provide access to the underlying bulb. The hole in the drywalled ceiling is just shy under 12 inches in diameter!!! Tearing down the drywall is not an option because there are around 20 of these throughout the home. What are my options in replacing these fixtures with a 6 inch can or similar? What are my options at this point?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing 12 inch commercial recessed can lighting

Since the hole is about 1' in diameter, you could install new work 6" cans and have an appropriately sized drywall patch made to fill in the space.

o

You instal patches in the existing drywall.

o

I have the same issue. Does anyone make a replacement trim that large or that has a sufficient border piece?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here