Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
getting shocks from old ceiling light

Posted by jimyyz (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 20:39

i was installing an antique ceiling light which has 4 up lights and 4 down lights. One pair (i.e. one up and one down) doesn't work. When I tried tightening the two bulbs, thinking that perhaps they weren't fully seated, I got a shock. (Note: All of the bulbs were hard to get into the sockets, probably because it's a very old fixture. I had to turn them to the point where i was worried about breaking the bulb.)

I'm guessing there is a short or lose wire somewhere??
Can anyone suggest how to go about checking/fixing it and what I should be looking for? Do i just need to take apart and check that one socket for a lose wire?

Believe it or not, I just spent $200 at a specialty lighting shop to check the fixture and get it ready for hanging. You think they would have checked it too -- which they claim they did. But anyway, it's too much work to take it down and back to the store.

Thanks


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: getting shocks from old ceiling light

It's important that fixture polarity be correct. The threaded part you can come into contact with as you screw in a lamp is the grounded neutral and small center contact point is the hot. Newer factory made chandeliers should all be consistent and have a identifier on the cord to show which is hot and neutral. Rewired chandeliers don't always have this right and some sockets may be one way, some the other. Electricians test each one.


 o
RE: getting shocks from old ceiling light

They might have wired it assuming your wire colors in the wall are correct, which they may not be.
You should check with an incand. test lamp that it fully lights when wired between the black wire in the wall and a "known good ground" [probably a cold water pipe].


 o
RE: getting shocks from old ceiling light

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the other lights in the chandelier work fine it can't be the wires in the box.

I'll test the socket and report back.

Thanks


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here