Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_from__ct

Need Living room recessed lighting help please!

novice_from__ct
10 years ago

We are doing some remodeling in a house built in 1987. The living room/dining room (it's open floor plan) is getting a new ceiling so we have to put in some recessed lights. We will also have a chandelier and 2 library lights over bookcases. The room is 22x22 with 9 foot ceilings. The electrician came today and mentioned doing LED recessed lights. They look very modern and sleek but I have no idea what the light itself will look like when turned on. He installed one in one of our old cans just so I could see the light but it was hard to tell since it was in the middle of the day. Also, when we tried to dim it, it flickered but he said that was because our existing dimmers are made for incandescent lights. He also mentioned that he could take our old "cans" and fit these new LED lights inside. I am very new to this that it was all a bit overwhelming! A friend just built a high-end house and did all halogen recessed lights. I'm totally confused. Can someone please tell me the difference in layman's terms? I understand LED is energy efficient, and from what I understand, regular incandescent bulbs are a thing of the past. Please help!

Comments (8)

• lee676
    10 years ago

The look will vary considerably depending on what brand, model, size, type, and brightness the particular LED lights are. Better quality ones won't flicker even when dimmed with most dimmers designed for incandescent lamps, and give off high quality light. If you already have the cans, you can get replacement light LED reflector bulbs that re-use the existing trim baffles, or you can get LED modules that include both a light and a built-in trim kit. The latter option is probably better if you're installing new cans, and maybe even if you're not. LEDs use much less power than incandescent bulbs, last much longer, and don't get hot if you're underneath them.

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you recommend a brand to go with? What should I be looking for in terms of getting the most natural looking light? We are looking at 4 or 5 inch lights complete with trim. For the rest if the house I will use the existing trim and just replace the bulbs. Thank you for your help!

• lee676
    10 years ago

I used the Cree CR6 modules for my kitchen renovation, which include integral white trim rings. Home Depot sells a version that just hit stores with a different designation but it's the same thing (pic below). About $40, they give off good light that's close to incandescent, slightly pinker but I mean slightly, they turn on instantly, are of high quality, render colors well, and dim well. There's also a daylight version available (5000K instead of 2700K) although I prefer the warmer, more common 2700K myself. These use only 9-1/2 watts each but are bright. I'd avoid the "builder grade" $15 version in the green box which uses more power and dulls colors a bit, although they're a decent choice is you're out for lowest cost. All of these fit most 6" cans but only certain 5" ones though, so you'll want to try one first. And they don't work at all with most Lightolier fixtures which don't actually have cans inside for these to attach to.

• lee676
    10 years ago

.... and for the existing recessed lights where you already have trim rings, I like these Feit Electric BR30 size (fit most 5" and some 6" cans) floodlamp bulbs, which Costco sells in their stores for only $13 each (like the Cree CR6 above, it may be even less in your area if they have Energy Star subsidies - where I live they're only $7) each. These draw 12 watts but are brighter, throw a very wide beam (almost too wide, it's a bit glaring if you look up at them), and give off terrific light indistinguishable from incandescent bulbs. They also dim well. Worth considering even if you have to buy new trim rings in the newly installed cans too. My only very minor beef with them is they take about 1/3 of a second to turn on, a tad disconcerting until you get used to it.

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great information, thank you. I saw that the electrician had that green box (Ecosmart) when he came to the house to give his estimate. Should I request the other? Maybe I can go out and buy them myself and have him do the installation. I went out and bought a Cree light bulb to put into my existing trim in the kitchen to see what it looked like and I was happy with the color. I saw a bit of flickering using the existing dimmer, is that normal? Will I need to upgrade the dimmer? Also, whereas the incandescent went yellow when dimmed, these stayed white. I couldn't tell if the LED bulb was dimming or not.

• David
    10 years ago

The flickering should be looked at by your electrician as it could be caused by a number of issues.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Until about one month ago, the Cree light now sold in the dark blue Cree box was rebranded as Ecosmart (a Home Depot house brand) and packaged in a similar green box. Very recently, they replaced those with a new, cheaper design that has lower color rendering (CRI) and uses about 30% more electricity, but is half the price, and started selling the previous, higher-quality design as a Cree lamp rather than Ecosmart. If the box says 9.5 watts, it's the old/better one; 12.5 (or thereabouts) and "builder's series" is the new/cheap one. All of these are actually manufactured by Cree.

I think the higher-quality lights are worth the cost for a living room, so furnishings, people, and their clothing will have vibrant, realisic colors that aren't dulled, but the new/cheaper lamps may suffice if you need to cut costs (I expect it will be possible to upgrade to high-end LED modules 2 years from now for much less than it costs now).

This post was edited by lee676 on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 14:33

• novice_from__ct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. If I want the old/better version, should I buy it online and not from Home Depot? I will look for the watts and also ask my electrician. Also, are the same lights available in a smaller size with the same quality of light?