Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed Lighting

Posted by tgd2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 19:34

I'm trying to figure out lighting for my old standard size bathroom (approx 8 x 10). The vanity area will be 42" with two tall cabinets on each side and a wood valance between. I'm planning on sconces to the side of the mirror but maybe additional lighting overhead.

I've always hated recessed lighting as it's terribly unflattering and casts bright, glaring focused beams in some areas (maybe what they call hot spots?). But, I'm hoping there are options to get around this. Using a vanity bar light over the mirror won't look right. Maybe one with a lens or a wall wash to bounce light off the back wall instead would work? Has anyone experienced either of those?

Was also considering a simple fluorescent tube light along the top but am afraid I'd hate the light color.

It's terribly hard to set this up without knowing all the different bulbs, their colors, and the amounts of light. What I do know is lighting is often so terrible, harsh, or just not adequate.

Now I've remembered all these incandescents are going to be banned. I can't afford to redo everything in a few more years.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed Lighting

You could do xenon under cabinet lights behind the wood valence, and I think it would look really nice below the two side cabinets too. Xenon gives a good color that makes people look good and healthy sometimes the fluorescent can be a little too blue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here