Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling lights:updating kitchen/pantry

Posted by SparklingWater (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 19:26

Hello. I am new to the lighting forum. I am in the planning stages of a galley kitchen (12'x7') and adjacent eat in pantry (11'x7') update, leaving its basic footprint intact as it works so well. This means new cabinets with ucl's, appliances, sinks yet same plumbing layout for water and gas lines, and utilizing current electrical wiring as much as feasible. There are numerous lights and outlets in both rooms as well as a good amount of unused electrical circuits in the basement circuit box.

The two galley kitchen/pantry rooms are connected via a large open door frame. I posted on the house repair forum regarding the sole window in this linear run, which is above the pantry eating area (east). There is additional ambient window light adjacent to the kitchen (west) and in the adjacent dining room (south). I am plannning under-cabinet lighting (there are fluorescent lights under each cabinet uppers now so circuitry is there already), first time recessed lights and probable removal of central hanging kitchen fixture light so as have uninterrupted ceiling height (8'6") to give a taller room feel.

Below is a picture of one of two similar 13"x13" adjacent pantry ceiling lights. These are Kirlin Company, Detroit, MI "flare" lights I believe and have frosted glass fronts which drop down for opening, revealing a 300 W max lightbulb fixture, followed by a recessed area which, when peaking past the top of the metal light box with a flashlight, appears rather deep.

I wish to remove these two separate old lights which are on the same switch and can be dimmed, yet not necessarily change out the electrical but instead modify them. Phillips direct line eW Profile Task lighting was referenced on this forum so I looked around on their site. Phillips-lighting appears to sell a 9"x9" box with four adjustable spotlights as well as modern ceiling lights. I'm wondering about the feasibility of changing these ceiling lights to adjustable spots by modifying their box aperture.
I'm asking for your opinions on the status of kitchen/pantry ceiling lights currently. Are they too old fashioned and best closed off and plastered over and recessed lights placed instead? Any recommendations on additional modern, creative lighting companies which may offer alternatives? To close up two 13"x13" electrical apertures (one rests directly above the beverage bar run and opposite side tall pantry cabinet, and the other near the eating area) to put in recessed lights throughout gives me pause. What do you think? Old house, good layout kitchen, large plot, valued schools, close in to major city. Any modern option ceiling lights/ceiling spot companies? Thank you so very much for your interest and comments.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling lights:updating kitchen/pantry

The most common recessed cans are 6" cans which can be obtained at Lowes or Home Depot, ...

The most cost effective way of reducing the aperture is to install new cans. The replacements could either be retrofit or new construction cans. The former is typically used when there is limited access to the upper side of the ceiling and the ceiling is not torn down.

What you replace the existing lights with may be affected by local energy efficiency laws for example Title 24 in California.

The total cost of a recessed can typically comprises of
can, bulb/ lamp & trim. In some cases (LED Cree CR/LR, Sylvania RT series), the trim piece come with the lamp which could give some savings.

I've written a short thread on recessed cans (main focus on LED, but the principles are fairly general) and there is a LED UCL continuation thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED recessed can guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here