Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Help me to understand lighting options for kitchen please

I am browsing around the forum and see some excellent tips (like lumens per sq.ft, CRI, lumens per watt, recommends for Cree units), but I still feel confused about basics -- partly because I have gotten conflicting recommendations from lighting stores, and have had no contact as yet with the electrician (only with my contractor, who I suspect would just instruct him to stick 5 whatever cans in the ceiling).

My kitchen is about 156 square feet, with the upper cabinets deducted about 129. I'll add the floor plan below. I plan to have UCL too.The ceiling is 94" and will not be torn out.

First of all, I am assuming that can lights are kind of the standard, and I am sold on LED; but the first lighting store recommended that I just use semi-flush fixtures for my space instead of cans. I currently have 2 smaller circular flourescents and they are quite inadequate. I don't see how 2 semi-flush would make much improvement even with the addition of UCL. I assume that they would use CFLs.

I don't quite know what I would best have in a can-- when I went to Home Depot, I couldn't find anyone to explain to me re baffle, reflector, open -- which one is right for my space? Which gives gentle, broad lighting? was guessing that 5" would be about right?

And then the other lighting store was pointing me toward the adjustable track lights. I agree they would look cool, and that is what I saw in the Ikea display kitchens, but would they really give me the best lighting for this space?

Lastly,like everyone, I am on a tight budget, and want to find the best pricing. Do I need to shop Home Depot, Lowes, online etc or would the electrician be able to get the best pricing from a supply house?

Sorry for all the questions, which may have been covered in other posts -- I hope an expert or two will be willing to get me thinking clearly. I will appreciate any advice!

Comments (6)