Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranger481vs_gw

Inspections for electrical work.

ranger481vs
12 years ago

I am getting a permit to do the electrical work listed below. I cannot get a hold of the inspector to follow up with him right now, but he gave me a general response regarding inspections, in that, I should have an inspection after completing the rough-in work. After that, I can finish the installation and call for a final inspection.

This makes sense for big remodeling, but does lighting really require two separate inspections? I'm not exactly sure what rough-in work would mean in my case, but I would guess that it's doing everything with the wiring, except installing the fixtures. This would make life difficult if I cannot install the light fixtures right away because it seems that I would be without a fixed light source in my kitchen for at least a few days or so.

Here's the work I have listed out in the permit:

Kitchen:

� Move microwave outlet off of lighting circuit and onto kitchen counter circuit.

� Remove fluorescent light fixture and rewire to install 7 recessed LED cans.

� Remove two ceiling mount fixtures and rewire over island to install pendant lights.

� Add LED undercab lighting.

Living Room:

� Replace existing ceiling light with ceiling fan light and move location to center of room.

Master bedroom:

� Replace existing ceiling light with ceiling fan light and move location to center of room.

Comments (7)

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

"This would make life difficult "
    There are pigtailed bulb holders or extension cords and flood lights.
    You are opening up a lot and will need a lot of basic wiring knowledge to employ and if you do not understand the terms, maybe you need an electrician as a consultant.

• Emilner
    12 years ago

Yeah, I got the shivers when you said you were doing the whole project, but didn't know what a "rough in" meant.

Yes, no part of any construction job requires only one inspection. Plumbing, framing, foundation, electrical etc require one to see the hidden part and the completed part (and some require more in between such as foundation).

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was pretty sure I understood what rough in meant, but I didn't realize it would apply for just kitchen lighting changes too. Thanks for confirming that.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You need to ask the AHJ how they plan in inspecting the job.

old work is often just a single inspection in many jurisdictions.

It is pretty hard to inspect fished wires.

New work that involves opening walls up, etc. in an existing structure may generate a rough inspection and a final.

Moving outlets a short distance is often finish only, but it remains up to the AHJ.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

Or, you can proceed as if you assume that the inspector wants to see everything.
    Time and time again when investigating a failure or opening up a wall or ceiling to add or amend a condition I've found where a circuit has been extended without a "J" box, where the conductors have been wire-nutted together without having been twisted or simply wrapped with tape and buried behind the finish.

The predominance of those residential fires, attributed to electrical, are from loose connections, conductors not correctly joined.

• lannie59
    12 years ago

In our area you have to have an electrician call for an inspection. It is done by a private underwriter and not the building dept. An electrician would know which part needs to be inspected and if any of needed an inspection. If needed a rough inspection is performed before wall or ceilings are closed up and a final inspection is performed after all trims, switches, fixtures, and outlets are installed. When the electrical inspector signs off then the building inspector can finish and sign off if needed.

• ranger481vs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, my inspector is finally back, and he confirmed it only needs to be a final inspection. I should've waited to speak with him in the first place, but I was anxious to hear other people's opinion. Regardless, no shortcuts here on electrical. Everything will be done to code, if not more. I decided to have an electrician install the ucl and then run a new dedicated circuit, since those are the most challenging projects.