Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about number of recessed lights...

Posted by ritamay (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 18:29

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of redoing our kitchen, and are ready to install the recessed lights. The kitchen is small, only about 10x11, any opinions on how many lights we should have? Also, 4,5, or 6 inch??

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about number of recessed lights...

Assuming 35 lumens / sq ft, each recessed fixture producing 600 lumens,

6 or 7 recessed cans would be needed.

Will other light sources be available in the kitchen for example under cabinet, etc?

The size of the can is determined by factors such as the amount of space in the ceiling/ attic, type of lighting, personal preference.

o

Hi David,
thanks for the reply... yes, there will be under cabinet lighting, and a pendant over the sink. I don't think I want pendant lights over my peninsula though, so definately need a can or 2 there.

o

If you have a pendant, you may be able to reduce to 6 recessed cans.

If you can consider LED lighting, CR 6 lamps will be available around the middle of the year for ~ $50.

The predecessor of the CR6 - LR6 gives quite good lighting.

I've attached a snapshot
IMG_0193

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here