Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docdom_gw

Do you have halogen sconces above your vanity and toilet?

docdom
14 years ago

We're finalizing renovation plans for our 5' x 9' hall bath, and I'd like feedback on my choice of light fixtures. I'm thinking of using three of these 150-watt halogen sconces âÂ" spec'ed by the manufacturer (Condor Lighting) as down lights âÂ" above the new vanity and toilet:

Specs:

ÃÂ ÃÂ Satin glass bottom diffuser.

ÃÂ ÃÂ One 150 watt, 120 volt, T3Short, RSC halogen lamp.

ÃÂ ÃÂ General downward light distribution.

ÃÂ ÃÂ ADA compliant.

ÃÂ ÃÂ 9.25"W x 4"H x 3.25" projection.

ÃÂ ÃÂ Dimmers: Incandescent

The sconces will probably be installed just below the 7' level below the 8' ceiling, with roughly 24" between fixture center lines. This leaves roughly 15" of wall space between the fixture edges. The sconces will need to provide the primary nighttime lighting for the vanity and toilet area. (I was going to say "task lighting", but that term didn't sound right WRT the toilet!) The bathroom is 5' wide as you enter it, with a shower that spans the "full" 5 feet at the end of the room. The shower will have it's own lighting on separate switch. So the three sconces only need to light the 6' long wall behind the vanity and toilet (to your left as you enter the room).

BTW, the room no longer has a window, so we added a skylight and an exhaust fan years ago. Lighting is not an issue in this room when the sun is up, even during the winter.

I'm having difficulty envisioning the lighting plan, because the bathroom currently has the exhaust fan without a light and a single fluorescent tube fixture from HD on above the vanity. To complicate matters, I'm not familiar with halogen lighting except for the two 20-watt halogen lights in my Kobe kitchen range hood. Those lights are very bright, so I would probably use lower wattage bulbs in the bathroom sconces.

I'd be grateful for input from the halogen-savvy GWers out there. Thank you in advance!

docdom