Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement cans

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 16:40

I have black recessed cans in my ceiling in several rooms. The house was built in early 1990's. Because of the color, they are not "producing" enough light.

My handyman told me that I might be able to replace just the cans themselves, w/o replacing the whole units (for which the electricinan is charging $100/piece).

Sorry if I am not explaining this correctly.

If the cans cannot be replaced, can they be painted white? Is there a paint that can withstand that kind of heat?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement cans

What sort of cans - low voltage or line voltage? What is the diameter?

If you have line voltage 6" cans you can fit the CR6. If you have 4" cans, the ECO4-575 (CR4).

No need to replace the cans or paint.

o

Sorry, have been away from the computer.

I have no clue. I'll have to measure tomorrow b/c it is late and DH will kill me if I ask him to get the (tall and heavy) ladder (we have 9' ceilings) right now, LOL.

But judging by the looks, they are 6". Do you mean that I can just put something inside the existing "structure" or do I pull out the round thing surrounding the bulb and insert another one?

I know my questions sound stupid, thank you for your patience. :-)

o

Yes. The CR6 or ECO-575 (6" can). The CR6 is a lamp module that comes with an integrated trim piece. They work better than the "standard bulb in a can" configuration.

Take a look at the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: CR6 install

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here