Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmblz

Hunter Paramount vs Casablanca Panama

mmblz
15 years ago

I'm trying to decide between these two. From what I can tell, everyone loves Casablanca. Hunter seems to have a pretty good reputation but reactions are a bit more mixed. If $$ were not an issue I would just go with Casablanca, but the price difference is substantial.

Any thoughts on differences between the two as far as overall quality, and how quiet they are in particular?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

I have 20 y.o. Hunters in every major room in the house. A total of 8 fans. We run them every single day and run the ones in the bedrooms all night. None of them have ever given us a single minute of trouble. Well, we did have to replace one of the light fixtures but it wasn't part of the original fans - just a light kit we bought to attach to the fan. The fans are very quiet. If you listen really closely late at night when all else is quiet, you can hear a very, very low humming sound coming from them. Definitly not loud enough to be a problem and may just be the sound of the blades cutting thru the air.

That said, I'm not sure Hunters are still being made any where near as well as they were 20 years ago. I think they've started having them manufactured in China - like just about everything else these days.

I don't know about whether Casablanca are still being made in the U.S. but I'm definitely leaning towards them for my new home. Either that or I'll buy the cheapest fans I can find that I like the style of on the theory that, if cheap fans quit working in a few years, I can afford to replace them with another set of cheap fans.

BTW, a "buy cheap and replace it every few years" philosophy is NOT the direction I'd prefer to go but what are you going to do if manufacturers aren't making applicances to last as long as they used to no matter how much one pays for them.

I have a Kenmore washer and dryer and a no-name brand refrigerator that are all still going strong after 23 years. My 18 year old Kenmore freezer is also still going stron. Pretty sure that no washer/dryer/fridge/freezer being made today can be expected to last half as long.

• nolalady_2009
    14 years ago

Casablanca is a division of Hunter. Casablanca is their premium fan/lighting line. Most components for both lines are assembled in China.

• normclc
    14 years ago

don't ever buy cheap fans.
    Cheaper units have less powerful motors which are incapable of driving the blades which are set at an angle that will move air effectively.
    Cheap fans result in low air movement, so why install them in the first place?
    The is little to compare when looking at Casablanca or Hunter.
    Casablanca does not produce , today, the fans they were so famous for.

• wwwonderwhiskers
    13 years ago

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any additional information....

• lizbeth-gardener
    13 years ago

We bought a casablanca in spring of 2009 for master bedroom and are very pleased with the quality and lack of humming. I actually was so impressed to find a white that was off white and fades into my ceiling. It has six speeds and a very classy, subtle light. We love it!

• mmblz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We ended up getting Hunters. Two of them are very quiet. Unfortunately the one in our bedroom apparently gets off balance, and clicks or buzzes. We've adjusted it but it will probably be time to do it again come summer. One other slight annoyance - we got Hunter switches as well. I think they have four speeds but it's not that useful because instead of low/medium/med-high/high, it's more like "really low"/"pretty low"/low/high...
    So overall I would say they are pretty good, just not great.

• housavvy
    13 years ago

Try an Emerson with a K55 motor. I had some of those and they are amazing. They move a ton of air and make no noise except the sound of a high speed wind. You may also be interested in the DC motor fans. They move a ton of air and only use 20 watts of power.
    Casablanca vs. Hunter is interesting as they are the same company. Both brands have good fans. Hunter also has some that are not so good. Hunter goes from very good to poor. (and the prices vary too) While Casablanca mostly has high end fans. My biggest gripe towards Casablanca fans is the control system. Many of them have a receiver which is deep inside the fan housing and extremely costly and time consuming to replace, and unfortunately I've seen them go out a lot. Also Intelitouch on a fan with an uplight is a major pain. The only problem other than the control system is the price.
    Some of the best values I've ever seen are Hunter fans and Hunter is definitely a good choice. If you want a very high end fan look at the Emersons.

That's my 2â