Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksquared21

Kitchen lighting questions

ksquared21
17 years ago

We are planing the lighting for our kitchen reno. We want to do recessed cans 6" or 5" (any difference?) for general task lighting. We are going to do 1-2 pendants over the peninsula which looks into the dining room. And undercab lights - no idea on those yet.

How many recessed do you think? What's the spacing required? We have 8 foot ceilings. And will have a skylight (2' x 4') in the middle. The cabinets are medium cherry and the countertop is dark brown silestone (coffee brown)

Comments (4)

• ilitem
    17 years ago

Recessed lighting is usually placed so that 1/2 of the light is over the edgs of the counter and the other 1/2 is over the floor. From there on, you need to place the lighting towards the center of the room to get illumination. 65 watt bulbs (if you are using a regular 5 or 6" can are usually spaced every 4' on center.

If you are a more visual person (which I am), you can take the bulb that you intend to use and put it into a lamp (without the shade of course) or into a lamp holder on an extension cord. Have someone hold it near the ceiling and actually see the spread of light that you are going to get.

The only place where I center the light on the counter is over the kitchen sink. Usually this is put on a separate switch so that you can have just that on if you wish.

Also, you may wish to "zone" the kitchen lighting, which means having different lights come on with different switches. For example, having the lights over the kitchen counters come on separately from the lights in the middle of the room.

Whatever you do, you should be sure to put your recessed lights on dimmers. It can get hot in the kitchen (it could be my age) when cooking and the lights are on full.

Also, be careful using xenon undercounter lights. Some of them have a tendency (low wattage or not) to heat up more than the flourescent ones. Therefore, canned goods should not go on the bottom shelf, or anything else that could be affected by the heat.

• ilitem
    17 years ago

Recessed lighting is usually placed so that 1/2 of the light is over the edgs of the counter and the other 1/2 is over the floor. From there on, you need to place the lighting towards the center of the room to get illumination. 65 watt bulbs (if you are using a regular 5 or 6" can are usually spaced every 4' on center.

If you are a more visual person (which I am), you can take the bulb that you intend to use and put it into a lamp (without the shade of course) or into a lamp holder on an extension cord. Have someone hold it near the ceiling and actually see the spread of light that you are going to get.

The only place where I center the light on the counter is over the kitchen sink. Usually this is put on a separate switch so that you can have just that on if you wish.

Also, you may wish to "zone" the kitchen lighting, which means having different lights come on with different switches. For example, having the lights over the kitchen counters come on separately from the lights in the middle of the room.

Whatever you do, you should be sure to put your recessed lights on dimmers. It can get hot in the kitchen (it could be my age) when cooking and the lights are on full.

Also, be careful using xenon undercounter lights. Some of them have a tendency (low wattage or not) to heat up more than the flourescent ones. Therefore, canned goods should not go on the bottom shelf, or anything else that could be affected by the heat.

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

6" cans are overkill for 8' ceilings; 5" will be fine.

What are the overall dimensions of the room? What's going on with the apparently overlapping cabinets in the corner left of the range?

OT, you might want to bump the fridge a few inches to the left; as drawn, I suspect the right-hand door won't open fully.

• ksquared21
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The room is 10' x 13'.
    Jon - my pic is just a rough one I drew - I dont have a scanner to get the real plan in althogh here is a model from the cabinet place.