Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_r11

Do Low voltage recessed lights really save any money?

chris_r11
17 years ago

Hi,

I am trying to decide what kinds of lighting to do in our kitchen. We had new cabinets and counters put in but could not really deal with the lighting at that time - were running out of money.

So, now I am looking at replacing the incorrectly placed recessed lighting that was already in the house.

I have looked at these: http://www.sonriselighting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SL&Product_Code=SRL4ICN

4 in recessed low voltage lights or I can just do 5" cans with line voltage and baffled trims. Any opinions on these lights from Sunrise lighting? Anyone use them?

I have been told both ways, that the low voltage saves money and that they are a waste of money. What do people put in their kitchens and why? Is the light superior of one verses the other? Do people usually do more cans with low voltage?

So, which is better? I can provide a plan of the kitchen if that would help. Since I really am not going to be hit with an inspection I can go either way and I am competent enough to fill in the old holes and wire them up. We really don't like the light output of the flourescents at all, so those are out.

Thanks for any opinions.

Chris

Comments (18)

• DavidR
    17 years ago

Low voltage lamps will have a longer life when you want small envelope size.

They are easier to install outdoors as garden or path lights, as long as you don't mind very low wattage.

I can't think of any clear advantage for them otherwise. In fact, unless the transformers are integral to each fixture, they have a significant disadvantage in requiring much heavier wiring than equivalent line voltage lamps.

I suggest that you investigate modern fluorescents more closely before dismissing them. Today's compact fluorescents are greatly improved over the dreary old "cool white" monstrosities.

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

To add to David's comments, low-voltage incandescents are best at putting a lot of light on a very specific surface in a controlled way, like a theater spotlight. They aren't very good for general illumination. Don't confuse low voltage with low wattage; low voltage doesn't save any electricity.

• mcassel
    17 years ago

I don't want to talk for the OP but when I first started looking at lights I associated halogens bulbs with low-v and incandescents with line-v, not sure if that is what the OP is meaning and accidentally confusing the voltage and bulb type. Because most stores display low-v halogens and line-v incandescents.

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

Just to clarify, halogens are incandescents. They are a subtype, not a completely different sort of bulb. Same goes for xenon lamps.

• chris_r11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses, all. I do appreciate them.

To answer some more questions. I have looked (a bit) at the fluorescents and what my wife and I really don't like is looking up and seeing the fluorescent bulb. I like looking up and seeing a nice halogen style or ( I don't remember the name, exactly) par 20 bulb. We also use dimmers and I know that fluorescents can be dimmed now, but I don't know how well they do that compared to a incandescent

Thanks for the confirmation that that they put their light in a narrow focus, that is what I was wondering. We have fluorescents under the counter, and they are fine. We just don't want them everywhere in the kitchen.

I guess I will stick with a 5" can over the kitchen and 4" over the eating area and not look at my PG&E bill as much. My family tends to like the lights on all the time and just leave them on when they walk out.

Chris

• Jon1270
    17 years ago

"my wife and I really don't like is looking up and seeing the fluorescent bulb."

Would you mind saying more about this, Chris? It's a sentiment I've heard before, but I don't understand it.

• chris_r11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,

Well on this link, http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/LightBulbBG.html

there is a picture of the CF bulbs and the Par bulbs. We just don't like looking up and seeing the 4 tubes of the CF bulb. We just like the way that the glass of the Par bulbs fills out the opening of a can with a incandescent.

I don't really know how else to put it and maybe there are some nice looking CF bulbs out there that have the appearance of a PAR that are dimmable? I don't know -- but I have not seen them.

I guess my real hope is LED bulbs that have a nice light output color and are in the shape of a PAR and are dimmable will be made in the future. Hopefully in 10 years or so.

Chris

• mcassel
    17 years ago

Chris,

CFLs have come a long way... There are many people like you and I that don;t like the look of the older style CFLs.

but take a look at the CFLs from these two online bulb stores... CFLs now come in all shapes and sizes.

www.bulbs.com

www.1000bulbs.com

• mcassel
    17 years ago

Chris,

sorry for some reason my links did not work so well...

www.bulbs.com
    click on bulbs ---> Compact Fluorescent Screw-in

www.1000bulbs.com
    click on Fluorescent Screw-Ins

• chris_r11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link. I guess here is a question for you all... what would you put in your kitchen if you wanted to be able to use a dimmer? CF of incandescent lights? This is more of a subjective question.

Thanks,
    Chris

• mcassel
    17 years ago

This is a hard qu because you have stated you want to save money. CFL are a lot better than they used to be and cost a lot less to run than incandescents low or line voltage. You can also now get dimmable CFLs, they are kind of pricey on the front end but they still save energy.

I would say do line-voltage with a regular incandescent bulb, that way you always have the option of going to CFLs to test it to see how you like it. I don't think there are any low-v CFLs out there.

I want to add that I am a lay person and am still learning a lot myself. People like Jon know a lot more that I.

• chris_r11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I guess I mean that I want to save money like anyone else does. I just don't want to hear from the family that they don't like the light every day of my life so I will stick with the tried and try incandescents.

Chris

• mcassel
    17 years ago

Get the line-v incandescents housings but use the CFL bulbs, see what the family thinks, this way it would be easy to swap back if they did not like them.

• chris_r11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, dumb question, but what is a line-v incandescent housing?

I was just going to look for a 5in new construction air tight IC model.... from Halo or someone. Something like a Model H5ICAT.

Thanks,
    Chris

• chris_r11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah! It just clicked. Line voltage. Sorry, thought it was some other type of housing!

Thanks,

Chris

• DavidR
    17 years ago

Not to dismiss your concerns, but how often do people really look up at the lights? Homeowners sometimes fuss about this, but even when they notice, most of them forget about it quickly.

As for guests, I have never had one comment on my light fixtures. Never. They're much more interested in the food and entertainment. ;-)

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Chris, your reference to PG&E means you must live in California? If so, are you not trying to comply with Title 24?

• homepro01
    17 years ago

I just installed one of these in my home as a hallway light and I am looking at the recessed lights for my bedroom. They are LED. The hallway light works great so far but I will see how I like it for the bedroom. For the hallway, I used a cool light and in the bedrooms I will be using a warm white. Looking up at them, they look like a regular recessed light fixture.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: LED Recessed lights