Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting options for 7' ceilings

Posted by chips4000 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 15:44

Am remodeling and want to remove the center lights to complete a nice straight ceiling line - was thinking of putting high hats alongs the perimeter - but someone pointed out that it would be to hot that low - what kind of lighting options are there for recessed low voltage lights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting options for 7' ceilings

Funny you should ask this. As you'll see from other posts I'm adamantly opposed to recessed lights. The only time I ever installed them was in a room with very low ceilings - I figured it felt closed in enough already. Even there it was a huge mistake. The shadows were even worse than they would have been with a higher ceiling.

I'd suggest a bright white ceiling and cove lighting. T8 or T5 fluorescent strips are good for this. Supplement with table and floor lamps.

o

Is this a kitchen, bath, bedroom or?

With a 7 foot ceiling your choices are limited. Six foot adults are close to any surface mount. For other than a bath I would recommend spots using cfl's.

o

Ooops... To be clear I should have said dimmable cfl floods in cans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here