Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hanging a table/pendant from a rod

Posted by joelm1822 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 15:42

Our kitchen ceiling is 7.5 feet, but it's part of an open room that becomes the eating area. So the kitchen part is 7.5 feet, but the eating area part is about 16 feet. It opens up a lot!

We can hang a pendent light from the high ceiling, but it's a long cord and it would be right in front of the balcony above the open area.

I'd like to be able to hang an eating table light (pendent?) from the wall. I understand it would need to be very firmly anchored. Does anyone know of such a rod/poll etc or has anyone built such a thing.

I'm not sure if I'm describing this, but thing of a light over the eating table that's hanging from a rod projecting from the wall rather than the ceiling.

I could imagine a stainless steel tube to hold the wiring into some sort of metal base, but does such a thing exist? Has it been done?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hanging a table/pendant from a rod

Do you mean a rod that spans the entire space or one that is connected to only one wall? If the latter, you might be fighting the law of physics. A light with any weight on the end of a long rod like that would probably pull the rod downward and either pull it out of the wall or bend it, unless you have some pretty substantial bracing in the wall.

As far as the chandelier wire cutting across the view from the balcony, we have this in our dining room, which has an upstairs gallery/balcony on one side and very tall windows on the other. You really don't notice the chain -- in fact, in a way, it ties the space together. I think a horizontal rod would be more intrusive.

o

It's the half rod. I agree it will need to be very strong, but we have access to a good solid wall so we can bolt it down. The first challenge is finding a rod rather than having to make one myself.

Thanks for the opinion on the chain.

o

You might also consider some of the newer low voltage lights that hang from a pair of wires from wall to wall.
The wires are both mechanical support for the small lights and power conductors.

You can place the lights anywhere along the wires, and even place more than one light close to another to light a larger area.

The wires are small enough to not be very noticeable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here