Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprint23_gw

outside recessed lighting?

sprint23
13 years ago

I'm building a house and trying to decide where I'm putting all my lighting on the outside. I saw a house recently that had recessed lighting under the soffits on the outside of the house. I liked the way it looked and have thought about doing it to my house, but I don't know where it would look better. I've seen a few houses with the lights spaced several feet apart all the way across the front of the house and I've also saw it with the lights only above the windows. I've tried looking for pics on the internet, but can't find many of them. What do you think would look better? thanks

Comments (13)

• bh401
    13 years ago

I don't have pics-still under construction. We put them in the soffits on the corners and at each porch column. Here's a pic of the house:
    {{gwi:1422790}}
    each corner has a light all the way around the house.
    {{gwi:1422788}}

One of our friends has this set up and it looks really good. With them on each corner/roof change really highlights the angles of the house. I hope ours looks good with the added accent light at each porch column.

• bh401
    13 years ago

david-the ressessed can lights in this instant are not really meant to be "task lighting". These are more for a achitectural/landscape type effect which doesn't look like an office building.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"These are more for a achitectural/landscape type effect which doesn't look like an office building. "

The most common buildings lit in this manner are commercial to attract customers.
    Most are office buildings.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

I would use my outdoor lighting and electricity budgets to provide good under-porch, walkway and drive lighting. Lighting exterior walls strikes me as wasteful and probably distracting to those on the inside.

• toddimt
    13 years ago

bh401,

The photo's in your last post above depict landscape lighting, not recessed lighting. The light is created by shining light up from the ground and washing the wall, creating light and shadows.

• bh401
    13 years ago

Sorry, been on vacation and haven't gotten back on.

Yes, I realize that the pics I posted are up lights. I was doing a quick search and couldn't find any with cans in the soffits.
    I was just trying to find pics of a house with some light on it to help sprint.-Kinda thought that was the point of these forums.(Which apparently, is not the the thing to do-guess any type of lighting besides task lighting outside is poopooed.) Ofcourse, a lit exterior does curb the chance of break-in. LED's use less power and last longer than bulbs in standard exterior lights. LED'S are directional?? GOOD! I want the light pointing down!
    And who says you have to use ugly flood lights? OR no lights? Or use more power, lighting all the porch and driveway lights?(I have 14) hmmmm...guess you do. DOWN WITH LANDSCAPE LIGHTING! they chant...IS THAT A BUSINESS OR A HOUSE?...WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO HAVE LANDSCAPE OR ARCHITECTURAL LIGHTING???...

I'm so glad posters on the forum will take the time to comment on a post trying to help rather than address the posters concerns or offer other suggestions. NICE! Sorry Sprint. Hopefully, someone will post with some actual sugesstions besides me. If I get the chance, I'll drive out and take some pics of the house I spoke of before(It does have soffit lights.)

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"Of course, a lit exterior does curb the chance of break-in."

Reasonable security and useful lighting can be easily obtained by employing motion detector porch and entry lights and low power lighitng on the drive.

If your concern about a break-in is such that it requires lighting the exterior I would suggest that you are living in a high crime area and should move.

• bh401
    13 years ago

No, actually I live out in the country not a high crime area. I was speaking in general terms. But any home, any where could be a target for theives regardless of location.

And since we are commenting on ME...I will not use motion detection lights because I have 2 outside dogs that would be constantly making the lights come on. And before anybody comments on not having my exterior dogs confined...We built our house on our 300 acre farm and they help protect the cows and calves from coyotes. Not to mention, keeping the oppossums, raccoons and armadillos away from the house.

But, whatever! Everyone has a right to their own opinion. You stick with yours and I'll stick with mine!

• OrlandoAwning
    13 years ago

I love the house so far and I think bh401 has the right idea on what to do for the lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor Lighting

• bh401
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

We have recessed cans under our front porch, corner and end eaves, live in a suburban-country setting, have outdoor loose dogs and low-no crime area. Of course the dogs, alarm and lighting all help. For us the placement of the cans provide ambiant light for outdoor lounging and gatherings in the evening without lighting the house up like a "commercial building" We also have high powered halogens that at night make the yard look like it's high noon (for the purpose of "late night yardwork"). We use lower wattage spot floods in the cans to direct down so that if we are sitting on the porch we are not blinded by the up-lights. Also the yard has separate landscape lights for walkways and accent. We use separate timers on the cans and accent lights so we can sleep at night. Hope this helps! We really enjoy how it all works for us and of course the look is amazing.
    (and no worries, the dogs don't run the neighborhood, they are trained with an underground e-fence surrounding our 4 acres)

• LilFlowers MJLN
    12 years ago

I've seen them both ways as well. I, personally, love the effect that it has when placed over the windows. I don't prefer it dark when I go to sleep. I rather have a little light shining in. I also think that flood lights look absolutely ridiculous, but that's my personal opinion. I detest anything sticking out like a sore thumb on a house that is just built. Case in point, my neighbors installed motion detection lights on their brand new house. It's all I see and I shake my head. I just love the look of a well lit place even though it may look commercial to some people. For me, it just reminds me of home. I also like lighting on top of pillars attached to fencing. It serves absolutely NO purpose but I don't either so I figure we go hand in hand. lol