Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doingygirl_gw

Size and hang length for fixture in LR open to DR

doingygirl
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm having a hard time deciding on a light fixture for our LR. We live in an 1890 brownstone that we are finishing renovating. The LR is open to our DR so you can see the DR chandelier from the LR. The chandelier in our DR hangs down 56" so that the base of it is 35" above the table. Since the LR fixture will be a different from that in our DR (we had the DR chandelier prior to buying this house) it was suggested to that the fixture in the LR should either be surface mounted or hang no lower than 30"( so that it does not compete with the DR chandelier). Our ceilings are 10 feet tall but the rooms are not very big. The LR is 19'x 10.7' which includes a bay front window(7'W x 5'D). I'm not sure if I should include the measurements of the bayfront window in determining the size of the light fixture since it has it's own recessed light for that space. I'm also not sure on the hanging height -with 10' ceilings I don't want it to appear to be hanging to high up and I don't know that a surface mount would look well with 10' ceilings. I was considering a bowl pendant but was told that it should be at least 20" diameter. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comment (1)