Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, Motion sensor light in my office is driving me batty!

Posted by bevangel (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 15:20

So management of the downtown office building where I work decided to "go green" (which I applaud) and installed motion sensor lights in all the offices. Now, when I sit at my desk busily working at my computer - which is pretty much what I do all day - after a few minutes my office lights will go out. Apparently I sit too still while I type. LOL!

Anyway, to the get the lights to go back on I have to semaphore my arms at the light sensor. This happens about every ten minutes or so and goes on ALL DAY LONG. It is driving me bonkers!

Since complaints to building management have been unavailing, I'm thinking about buying a cheap pendulum clock and hanging it above the light sensor so that the pendulum swings in front of the sensor...which of course would totally defeat the purpose in the first place PLUS it involves the added cost of an otherwise unneeded clock and the battery power to operate it.

Anybody got any better suggestions? Is there a way of turning up the sensitivity on these sensors so it will "see" my busily moving fingers?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, Motion sensor light in my office is driving me batty!

There are different types of wall switch occupancy sensors available as well as adjustments that can be made to many.

For your type of office tasks a dual mode occupancy sensor would be best. These use infrared to sense major motion to turn on initially then ultrasonic to detect small movement and stay on. These also, for the most part, can adjust themselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watt Stopper

o

Clock won't do it, since these usually use infrared--temp of clock is same as temp of room, so it's like a wall to the sensor.

o

So heimert, you're saying that the problem is NOT my slug-like movements but my reptilian body temp?

:-)

o

They can set these things to different levels of sensitivity and how far out they pick up heat/motion. We are building a house with the motion sensors all over the place. We are having to select how far out in diameter they will pick up motion (so a person walking down the hall doesn't turn on a light in an empty room) and how sensitive - so the cat doesn't turn the dang things on and off. Have maintenance adjust the thing.

o

On most of them, there is a wee, tiny fuse, that looks like a little metal U with a black plastic cover at the top of the U, that plugs into the switch assembly, behind the wall-switch cover. Just remove the cover, pull out the thing and the lights will stay on until you switch them off.

You don't have to disconnect the power to do this. I've done this in 2 different offices now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here