Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed LIghting for Kitchen

Posted by tmy23 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 15:07

Greetings. I am at the stage of my kitchen remodel where I am framing the ceiling for new sheetrock and thus am selecting lighting. Being completely new to this, i.e. like many I grew up with a circular florescent fixture surface mounted to our kitchen ceiling, so this recessed lighting thing and all the various bulb options is a little daunting. I've read a number of the posts and thought to go with a low voltage halogen solution. Why...couldn't tell you, it seemed that low voltage was less expensive to run that high voltage.

SO I went to a web site that sold 4" fixtures that use MR-16 bulbs and noticed that there is a ballast, etc on this fixture and began to wonder from a maintenance standpoint, would it all be accessable for maintenance through a 4" hole in the ceiling? Obviously I don't want to tear up sheetrock to replace components, so then I started thinking of line voltage cans, where theoretically nothing goes wrong once the wiring is right. So bottom line is I'm a bit lost.

IS there any relationship between low voltage and low energy comsumption? Or will line voltage cans be fairly energy efficient because of non-incandescent bulbs?

Is there a family or configuration of halogen or LED bulbs that have a much longer life expectancy than others?

Finally, I don't have a budget for $200 cree fixtures, although they look great. I'm at the big box stores looking at $20-$30 fixtures.

The kitchen will have also have under cabinet and two hanging fixtures over our island to provide general lighting. I am relying on the cans for specific work area lighting.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed LIghting for Kitchen

I suggest you go with 5" Halo/5020H line voltage and use a Philips 60 watt Par 30 IRC. The lamp puts out close to what a 75 watt typically does.

Eventually there will be a screw in replacement LED in the par 30 size. There are improvements in driver heat control, light output and color quality occurring to enable this. Philips has some interesting screw in products now with more on the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Philips

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here